Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F27 re-wire job
Plunky

posted on 24/10/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
F27 re-wire job

Evening all,
I'm about to begin the mammoth task of tidying up the absolute mess that is the wiring in my F27.
The car started life with a pinto fitted, this was then changed to a Zetec lump.
It appears a standard loom from something ford based has been cut and shut to use the standard column switches, this then links to the lights and dash etc.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what loom it could be and how I'd begin to identify which wires are which.
It should be easy enough to just replicate the connections, however it's such a mess, and some things such as the headlights don't work, I'd rather be able to identify the use of each wire and go from there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Liam

theconrodkid

posted on 24/10/16 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
my advice would be to get a wiring diagram for a basic car (they all have lights etc in about the same place) and just make a new loom,some connectors can be re-used,lot easier than struggling with a birds nest of manky old wires.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Dave Bailey

posted on 24/10/16 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure you wire lights fused left and right separately. Don't have both headlights on the same fuse. Front and rear left one circuit and front and rear right on another circuit.
gremlin1234

posted on 24/10/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Does anyone have any knowledge of what loom it could be and how I'd begin to identify which wires are which.
if its originally a pinto, most likely the loom follows lucas colours. in which case this site may help
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/colourcodes.htm
similarly, triumph, and land rover used the same colours

twybrow

posted on 25/10/16 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Rip it out and start again including the switchgear that you want. Use the current loom as spares to cut down the wire (and connectors) you need to buy. Once you get to grips sorting one circuit at a time, it is really satisfying!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.