Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crank Sensor wiring through multi pin plug
lsdweb

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Crank Sensor wiring through multi pin plug

Hi All

I'm making up a new engine wiring loom for my Clio as I'm fitting an Emerald ECU (and ditching all the crappy French electrics which probably lost me the Welsh Championship this season!).

The loom will have a multi pin plug (ITT Cannon) at the bulkhead so that the engine can be removed with everything connected up.

My question relates to shielding - the crank pickup will be wired using shielded cable but how do I keep the integrity of the shielding through the multi pin plug? My gut feel is that this will be difficult to achieve so I may wire the crank sensor separately.

Any thoughts?

Ta

Wyn

britishtrident

posted on 25/10/16 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
The shielding is just an extra ground connection --- only connect to the ECU ground at one end to avoid problems if the main engine ground fails and tries to earth the starter current through the ecu.

If you want to use a separate bulkhead style connector you might want to consider an "avaition style" connector these are available very cheaply on ebay with many different numbers of conductors and they can't be confused with other connectors.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 25/10/16 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
The shielding is there to protect the sensor signal to the ECU from electrical 'noise' generated by the alternator, the HT circuits and the like, thus preventing rogue signals reaching the ecu.

It really depends how far from the bulkhead those components are, if they are at the front of the engine, far from the bulkhead, then just use one of the connector pins to join the engine bay shielding to the in car shielding. otherwise, as you say use a separate twin core and shield plug and socket.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I used proper automotive-grade screened twin-core for my crank sensor. Like this stuff.

lsdweb

posted on 25/10/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Britishtrident - I knew about shielding one end only but didn't know why until now - thanks!

r1_pete - it's the unshielded but (probably about 2 inches) at the plug that worries me - that plug will carry the injector and coil wiring, plus other sensors.

Regards

Wyn

David Jenkins

posted on 25/10/16 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
You could try twisting the 2 wires together, where they are outside the braiding. This will reduce interference quite a bit (not that I think you'll experience much anyway).

r1_pete

posted on 25/10/16 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you'll have any problems with a couple of un-shielded inches, inside the ECU plug and the sensor plug is also un-shielded.

Its really the high voltages in the secondary coil windings (to the plugs) and the alternator windings which radiate interference, its extremely unlikely the 12v feeds will cause you any problems.

The other reason for not connecting the shield at both ends is to prevent eddy currents being generated and causing more interference.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 25/10/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Any open section will allow noise in. It may be minimal but why risk it when there are dozens of multi core connectors with fully shielded back shells etc?

silex

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
To pass a shield through the bulkhead connector the following method it used extensively;

1. Cut back the outside insulation approx 30mm to expose the shield
2. Unpick one side of the braid so you take the braid from an 'O' shape to a 'C' shape.
3. Pull the braid over to the side opposite the section you unpicked leaving the internal wires behind. Now twist the braid together to form a pigtail wire out of the braid. Fold the shield pigtail back so that it points down the cable length.
4. Take a spare piece of wire, preferably black (to signify a ground) and of a similar size to the signal/core wires. Twist one end of this wire together with the shield pigtail and apply a little solder to maintain a good connection.
5. Cover the joint with heat shrink tube - preferably adhesive lined type.
6. Trim the black wire to the same length as you core wires.
7. Attach the terminals and insert into the connector.

The idea is to keep the unshielded portion as short as possible. You have to do the same at both sides of the bulkhead. You can use the same method to connect into the ECU connector.

The downside is that you need to use a pin in the bulkhead connector.

[Edited on 25/10/16 by silex]

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

hearbear

posted on 25/10/16 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silex
To pass a shield through the bulkhead connector the following method it used extensively;

1. Cut back the outside insulation approx 30mm to expose the shield
2. Unpick one side of the braid so you take the braid from an 'O' shape to a 'C' shape.
3. Pull the braid over to the side opposite the section you unpicked leaving the internal wires behind. Now twist the braid together to form a pigtail wire out of the braid. Fold the shield pigtail back so that it points down the cable length.
4. Take a spare piece of wire, preferably black (to signify a ground) and of a similar size to the signal/core wires. Twist one end of this wire together with the shield pigtail and apply a little solder to maintain a good connection.
5. Cover the joint with heat shrink tube - preferably adhesive lined type.
6. Trim the black wire to the same length as you core wires.
7. Attach the terminals and insert into the connector.

The idea is to keep the unshielded portion as short as possible. You have to do the same at both sides of the bulkhead. You can use the same method to connect into the ECU connector.

The downside is that you need to use a pin in the bulkhead connector.

[Edited on 25/10/16 by silex]

This is the way we did it when fitting multipin bulkhead connectors and never had any problems. Should also have said keep the twisted pair twisted right into the connections in the plug.

[Edited on 26/10/16 by hearbear]

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

coyoteboy

posted on 25/10/16 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ship something decent in to do the job properly....
P55K-30 30 Pin Straight Non-screen General Electric Circular Connector

Though not that one, as it's not a screened variant.

Though there's nothing better than running it through it's own screened connector - so you don't get noise from the other pins.

[Edited on 25/10/16 by coyoteboy]

froggy

posted on 26/10/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I helped a mate do his vr6 turbo with ms and we had issues with the crank trigger signal until we moved the cable away from the rest of the loom . I've done my car with the the shielded cable on the other side of the engine on its own and haven't had any sync or trigger problems with no split just the connector on one end for the sensor and a cable right up to the ecu plug

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

lsdweb

posted on 27/10/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all!

Lots to think about. I haven't had my ECU back from Emerald yet so will wait for this to wok out where to fit the ECU before progressing with any wiring.

Ta

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.