Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New vehicle tax rates applied to kit cars?
russbost

posted on 27/10/16 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
New vehicle tax rates applied to kit cars?

They are changing the way new cars are taxed (road tax) from 2017 (this isn't particularly new, but can't find any previous posts on a search?)

see HERE

The intention appearing to be (besides raising more government funds fro them to waste) to encourage lower emissions vehicles with a tax incentive.

Does anybody know if these rates will also apply to kit cars or will we still continue to be charged on the up to 1600cc/over 1600cc brackets as we currently are?

If you applied the rates on the government table to many kits I think we'd be paying around £200-£500 a year on top of the standard £140 - if that's the case that looks like the final nail in the coffin of new build kits! I'm hoping that the existing rates for kits continue as they are now, but can't see anything in that document about it, nor find anything else on the web about it?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/10/16 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ithought after 3 years old it was going to be a flat rate. And currently low volume cars are still on the old system as you say. I would expect that to continue as there will be no "official" figures.
gremlin1234

posted on 27/10/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think that as kits have no co2/km figures, they will still default back to under/over 1549 cc
adithorp

posted on 27/10/16 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
I have read something somewhere about this (possibly pistonheads). Think the upshot is kits will still be charged based on engine size (as no g/CO2/km figures are available) and the "new" premium wouldn't be applied.

[Edited on 27/10/16 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

russbost

posted on 27/10/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well that sounds like good news

I'm guessing no one has found anything "official" or they would have posted it?

I had wondered where they were going to get the CO2/km figures from, but had wondered if they might take something from the emissions & apply a formula to it or something - can you imagine how that would affect a Cobra with, say, an old 5.7 litre Chevvy in it!!!

[Edited on 27/10/16 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
simon h

posted on 27/10/16 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, all kit cars that are IVA'd will still be on the old engine size system.

But it does mean the £300(ish) 5 year supplement on a £40k plus kit car wont be applied either.

morcus

posted on 27/10/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
The extra tax for the new system is based on retail price so how would that be decided on kit cars if it was introduced? I think if it was applied it would be easy to make it so that cost was below the 40K limit anyway.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

gremlin1234

posted on 27/10/16 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
The extra tax for the new system is based on retail price so how would that be decided on kit cars if it was introduced? I think if it was applied it would be easy to make it so that cost was below the 40K limit anyway.
its list price, not retail price. so discounts don't count.
hey isn't the list price build this car for £250 !

Crazylegs

posted on 22/3/17 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies if this has been asked before, I have already done some research before anyone barks at me.

What is the road tax for a BEC kit car of say 1000cc, is still classed as a car with an engine below 1600cc - i.e is that what tax brand it falls under?

I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Many thanks.

loggyboy

posted on 22/3/17 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crazylegs
Apologies if this has been asked before, I have already done some research before anyone barks at me.

What is the road tax for a BEC kit car of say 1000cc, is still classed as a car with an engine below 1600cc - i.e is that what tax brand it falls under?

I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Many thanks.

treated as same as cec.
and its 1549cc not 1600.

Mistral Motorsport

Crazylegs

posted on 22/3/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks bud, I couldn't remember the exact number so I just put 1600 lol.

Nice one, thank you.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.