Vehicle status
Tax not due
Vehicle colour
GREEN
Vehicle type approval
Not available
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY

car definately missed the amnesty period of incorrectly registered kitcars, when SVA came into force.

you can still try with dvla, but might rahter end directly into IVA.

gremlin1234

posted on 29/10/16 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know of any original dolomite convertibles,

so it may be that the record was updated, to reflect the body style, but the model not updated.
(they were quite lax about registration updates at one point)

Slimy38

posted on 29/10/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
That's actually a very nice car, I like how it's been put together as a 'recreation'. Right down to staying with proper skinny high profile tyres and the Lotus logo on the starter button.

I don't recognise the front suspension though, could it be they actually used more of the dolomite than normal? Perhaps that's why it's been treated as a rebody rather than a kit car.

mackei23b

posted on 29/10/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like an early Robin Hood, they did use Domolites as a donor, I;ve seen one before that used a Dolomite Sprint as the donor.
zilspeed

posted on 29/10/16 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Dolomite based Robin Hood.

It was correctly registered using the original registration, but the V5 was correctly amended.

I had a Sylva, similar deal, but V5 not amended. I spoke to the DVLA and they sorted it.

zilspeed

posted on 29/10/16 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
The car in the advert is certainly Dolomite based and that's the stock Robin Hood chassis.

It's a shame that the bit at the front was so ugly.

Mine was the same.

alfas

posted on 29/10/16 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
its one of the earlier robinhood“s which are based on triumph dolomites.

front subframe from doli, welded to robin“s chassis (most of those early cars had a spaceframe chassis, by the way)

the condition of the car is not questionable...looks very nice.

but the car missed the amnesty period for correcting / updating the vehicles details in the v5c.
this period (for a few years) was arond 1996, when SVA was established.

as it is now, its definately not legal!!!

the problem here is: you might open a can of womrs when knocking dvla“s doors, asking to update the v5c.
depending on their "mood" they might sent you directly to IVA.

zilspeed

posted on 29/10/16 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
its one of the earlier robinhood“s which are based on triumph dolomites.

front subframe from doli, welded to robin“s chassis (most of those early cars had a spaceframe chassis, by the way)

the condition of the car is not questionable...looks very nice.

but the car missed the amnesty period for correcting / updating the vehicles details in the v5c.
this period (for a few years) was arond 1996, when SVA was established.

as it is now, its definately not legal!!!

the problem here is: you might open a can of womrs when knocking dvla“s doors, asking to update the v5c.
depending on their "mood" they might sent you directly to IVA.

I had my Sylva logbook corrected around 2005 or so.

alfas

posted on 29/10/16 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
but meanwhile its 2016!!!

laws and regulations got stricter. for a reason IVA test was established.

there is still a chance to get it corrected.....but that should be left up to the seller....

if the new owner applies for a correction, but dvla says --> you dont pass Go, you dont collect 200,-$ you have to go to IVA!

that would be a quite expensive deal for the new owner, if that car at all would pass IVA (doli subframe welded to existing spaceframe might not amuse the testers)

PorkChop

posted on 29/10/16 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the SVA established in 1998 and a quick google suggests that the dolomite based car ceased production in 1991. Ergo, quite possible that everything is above board and legal.
prawnabie

posted on 30/10/16 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
They still entertain changing logbooks, I had one done last year on a triumph based kit.

The main thing they were looking for was that the vehicle had been taxed + mot'ed continuously throughout its life without being off the road for a number of years. the lady I was dealing with said any off road period would suggest the vehicle didnt exist anymore and would suggest I was attempting to use its identify documents on another car.

[Edited on 30/10/16 by prawnabie]

alfas

posted on 30/10/16 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
@porkchop: its NOT.

every kitcar which missed the amnsety period, after sva came into force, is nowadays considered as illegaly registered.

today its up to the onwer proving against the dvla that the car was built long time before sva, and ever ran as triumph dolomite with an updated body-type "convertible". means you need mostly all old MOT certificates.

the dvla CAN decide updating the v5c or contrary also MIGHT decide that the car has to pass IVA.

driving as it is is illegal, next MOT with a different and maybe more expirienced MOT tester the car might fail.
police control, where police-man might be also a kitcar enthusiast--> fail

thats the risk...and should the buyer take that risk, buying a robinhood or any other kitcar for nearly 5000pound? no.

if a dealer wants to make a profit, its up to him selling a car witha legal registration.

expirienced kitcar-enthusiasts will avoid such cars anyway.

so, who are potential buyers? exactly: people who have no idea about kitcars.

[Edited on 30/10/16 by alfas]

alfas

posted on 30/10/16 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
"They still entertain changing logbooks, I had one done last year on a triumph based kit. "

which kit was it?

there are triumph based kitcar which use the complete triumph chassis...so the kit is "only" a re-body, which is a totally differtn matter if it comes to dvla / registration

PorkChop

posted on 30/10/16 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
@porkchop: its NOT.

every kitcar which missed the amnsety period, after sva came into force, is nowadays considered as illegaly registered.

today its up to the onwer proving against the dvla that the car was built long time before sva, and ever ran as triumph dolomite with an updated body-type "convertible". means you need mostly all old MOT certificates.

I'm not disagreeing with you and that the V5 should make a reference to a RH somewhere. What I am saying is that unless you've seen the complete V5 surely there is a chance that it is correctly registered, what if it makes reference to a RH S7 in the variant section of the V5? Or if there is something in the special notes section?

At least it's not a Dutton...

alfas

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
if dvla is listing the car as triumph, several car-check pages in Uk list it as triumph....there is hardly any chance that the v5c somewhere shows some wording with robinhood or similar.
PorkChop

posted on 3/11/16 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
if dvla is listing the car as triumph, several car-check pages in Uk list it as triumph....

.........which, I understand from those who have updated their V5s under the amnesty, is a completely possible outcome, i.e. the donor is still referred to.

And don't take what comes up with searches as gospel. If you were to search the record for one of my road cars, you would get half of the model information that is actually on the V5.

That is the basis of the point I'm trying to make. Outright accusing that someone is selling an illegally registered vehicle (which you have done), when you cannot substantiate it (no matter how well intended) is not right IMO.

alfas

posted on 3/11/16 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
if the seller is not willing to provide the full details, even there a major doubts in terms of the registration, its a first indicator that something is dodgy.

but if the seller tells the details of the v5c and he also confirms that it only says "triumph"...there is nothing more to say.

the car has definately missed the amnesty period.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.