Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "A" Frame confusion again
LBMEFM

posted on 2/11/16 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
"A" Frame confusion again

I have been asked to collect an incomplete and unregistered car locally and as a trailer is not available I am thinking about using my "A" frame. I know this has been a topic of conversation before but just clarify, if the towed car is not being driven, it is not occupied, it is rigidly attached to the towing vehicle with the "A" frame and is carrying the lights and number plate of the towing vehicle it is surely a trailer. For instance if I bought an old caravan and took off the body and loaded it with an engine and other car parts how would that be different ?
HowardB

posted on 2/11/16 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
something to do with the distance between the axles maybe?

I am sure that someone will be along soon with a definitive answer,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Brakes are an issue. Or rather the fact the trailer will be unbraked and unplated...
loggyboy

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
IF its under 500kg then its arguably an unbraked trailer, which I suspect an unfinished kit it should be. If its a tin top then you have no chance.

How far is the journey? as rules for 'recovery' are more grey.

[Edited on 2-11-16 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

benchmark51

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I think it's to do with the 'trailer having 2 axles on the ground and the distance between them is greater than a metre. In which case it must have working brakes. I also believe that the Bill are lenient if you are using the 'A' frame to move a broken down car to a safer place. Towing a kitcar behind a motorhome is not allowed, which is why I bought one .
nick205

posted on 2/11/16 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming you have a tow vehicle already?

If so have you looked into renting a suitable trailer?

Renting is not usually prohibitively expensive and should get you around legal issues.

LBMEFM

posted on 2/11/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I have only got to move it about five miles so I think I will risk it as its not worth hiring a trailer. With regards to towing a car with a motor home benchmark51. I live just off the A2 into Dover docks and during the holiday periods I see countless motor homes coming into and out of the docks with cars on "A" frames so I believe the police are not that hot on it being against the law.
benchmark51

posted on 2/11/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Thanks for the replies, I have only got to move it about five miles so I think I will risk it as its not worth hiring a trailer. With regards to towing a car with a motor home benchmark51. I live just off the A2 into Dover docks and during the holiday periods I see countless motor homes coming into and out of the docks with cars on "A" frames so I believe the police are not that hot on it being against the law.

Very interesting but you can bet the first time I try it I'll get a gnarly plod whose missus has permanent migrane

wylliezx9r

posted on 2/11/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
READ this first:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=200959

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

loggyboy

posted on 2/11/16 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
How part finished is it? If it doesnt have any brakes fitted and is under 750kg then it could justifiably be classed as an unbraked trailer and be ok to tow with an A frame.

Mistral Motorsport

snapper

posted on 2/11/16 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the issue was that if it touched the ground it was a car on the public highway and therefore must have insurance & tax

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

loggyboy

posted on 2/11/16 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I thought the issue was that if it touched the ground it was a car on the public highway and therefore must have insurance & tax

not if it's a trailer.

Mistral Motorsport

Oddified

posted on 2/11/16 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
As Owelly found out, if it's deemed to be a car, wheels on the road, it needs to be road legal and the driver in the tow vehicle needs to be insured for the towed as he is also in charge of it. That's more relevant (with bigger fines/points) than the brake debate, weights, axle distances, over run etc etc

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.