Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Be safe under there
sdh2903

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Be safe under there

Just a reminder for us all to be vigilant when working under our cars. A chap just down the road from me was sadly killed earlier when working under his car. Its so easy for us to take a short cut to get the job done.

linky

RIP

CosKev3

posted on 2/11/16 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Poor bloke

Been under various cars so many times just on a jack it does not bare thinking about TBH.

But with age I've stopped doing it,looking for risks in everything I do now,so ramps or jacked on axle stands now.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 2/11/16 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
from day one my dad taught me to always store the wheel you've taken off under the car. If the jack gives way you'll still get squashed but you hopefully will only get a broken rib or 10.

(we also had wood and bricks under the car supporting it with the jack in place as well to make sure ......... in hindsight it would have been easier to just buy some axle stands)

mark chandler

posted on 2/11/16 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly happened to me, will not make that mistake again.

SD1 rover, drove it on to ramps, jacked the back up and placed on axle stands, of course the handbrake now no-longer works, as I was draining the gearbox oil felt it start to move and got out quick!

If I had reversed onto ramps and put the front on axle stands the handbrake would have worked.

Did not help I had cheap halfords axle stands, the ones where the spilt a bit of 2" tube to make three legs, these were binned and some really sturdy ones with wide feet replaced them.

Hodor

posted on 2/11/16 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Used to lift cars up on forklift prongs (come in at car from side, take the whole thing up 7ft high), with lengths of steel laid on said prongs to reach the other sill. Used to hoist it up then "give it a wiggle" by hand just to check it was "safe", then work underneath. Bonkers. Would never let my kids do that, but it was my old man that showed me how to do it! Don't think he really liked me looking back
zetec

posted on 2/11/16 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
If I use ramps on the front and stands at the back I ratchet strap the front wheels to the ramps, takes a couple of mins but means the car cant come off the ramp whatever.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

JoelP

posted on 2/11/16 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly got squished between two cars. Was jacking the Jeep up to listen to transmission noise. Fell off the four axle stands, rolled into my van. Very lucky, because my dive out of the way didn't take much further than it got.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Bluemoon

posted on 3/11/16 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly we have had one death in our village in similar circumstances:

http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/11537723.Mechanic_Michael_King_crushed_under_his_beloved_Land_Rover_in_Drayton/?ref=mr

Something to take very seriously.

I also have some 2 tonne Halfords axle stands and must get around to replacing....

Dan

owelly

posted on 3/11/16 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I was under my Transit looking for rust (hard to lose it really) and managed to get stuck. The air suspension leaks a bit and the rear end sat down enough to trap my chest under the side step. Each time I breathed out, it sank a bit lower until I was totally out of puff......I managed to loop the trolley jack handle with a rag I had and get it close enough to reach and pull it under the van with me and lift it enough to get out. A few broken ribs and bruises but not dead yet......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 3/11/16 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
In the early 80s our local Skoda dealers had a couple of Checkoslovakian mechanics doing an exchange working visit , one of them died trying to stop a car rolling backwards off a single post lift, the old type with a single ram coming out of the ground with an "H" shaped platform
Banana

posted on 3/11/16 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
As above. My old man has always told me to stick the wheel and additional blocks under a jacked car. And chock the wheels..
nick205

posted on 4/11/16 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
from day one my dad taught me to always store the wheel you've taken off under the car. If the jack gives way you'll still get squashed but you hopefully will only get a broken rib or 10.

(we also had wood and bricks under the car supporting it with the jack in place as well to make sure ......... in hindsight it would have been easier to just buy some axle stands)

Nasty! It doesn't take much for a vehicle to topple.

As above I was always taught to store the removed wheel under the vehicle in an effort to stop the vehicle squashing you. I was also taught religously to support the vehicle with axle stands or ramps when venturing underneath.

coozer

posted on 4/11/16 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
When I was a kid I spent ages digging a big hole in the garage, then got some bricklaying instructions off me dad. Its till there and comes in handy for oil changes and other things under the car... A good pair of wellys are the only thing needs to be safe (and dry!)

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

David Jenkins

posted on 4/11/16 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
When I was a kid I spent ages digging a big hole in the garage, then got some bricklaying instructions off me dad. Its till there and comes in handy for oil changes and other things under the car... A good pair of wellys are the only thing needs to be safe (and dry!)

Just don't be in there with the engine running - all sorts of heavier-than-air fumes can settle in a hole...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.