Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How Good is ZX10 Engine
limpetminer

posted on 2/11/16 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
How Good is ZX10 Engine

Just wondering how reliable ZX10 R engines are, been told they have problems with lubrication at high rpm?
markie6575

posted on 3/11/16 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Had a few problems with coils breaking down after high temperature runs, took a while to find the problem but otherwise been super reliable for me.
Hakuraa

posted on 3/11/16 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Bought mine start of last year with a standard sump, ran fine on road or track, but run with an overfill of oil to compensate which meant it used to fill the catch tank during a day on track. Mac#1 say a standard sump is ok, Andy Bates disagrees, so in the interest of engine life I fitted a baffled sump and now run standard oil level with no issues. This has included two consecutive days at a Nordschliefe track day, plus Croft, Cadwell and Blyton days and the oil in the catch tank is much less, but they do breath fairly heavy, the racers use a mod to compensate for this but as it involves removing the cam covers and modified dowels etc I have not done this yet.
I also had a coil breakdown and replaced them from the US fairly cheaply. Currently off the road with cooling issue after cooking the engine at Croft after radiator holed by foreign object.
Andy.

limpetminer

posted on 3/11/16 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at a car tomorrow so just wanted to get some idea of possible issues before i go, its a cat c so need to check insurance also thanks for advice.
Kev99

posted on 3/11/16 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be the Mac 1 on e/bay atm by any chance ?
limpetminer

posted on 3/11/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes probably, the green one what do you think of it dont know much about the mac 1 are they decent kit?
Kev99

posted on 3/11/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
here is the tread explaining how the car was damaged

link

both the front and rear of the chasses was damaged but not badly

limpetminer

posted on 3/11/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think asking price is about right? thanks for link to damage by the way.
sdh2903

posted on 3/11/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
It'd be good to know a bit more about the repair ie what was replaced and who did it.

For me although it looks a tidy car I'd say it was a bit high on price for a cat C.

Kev99

posted on 3/11/16 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
cant say about the price as not seen the car after rebuild , but for £8k and cat C, I would be expecting it to be immaculate

but that's just My opinion

[Edited on 3-11-16 by Kev99]

limpetminer

posted on 3/11/16 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
It does look good in photos but still not sure what to offer if it is as good as it looks, will have to view it with an open mind & see how it goes i suppose, just wish i had more knowledge about these cars.
Spud1985

posted on 9/11/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by limpetminer
It does look good in photos but still not sure what to offer if it is as good as it looks, will have to view it with an open mind & see how it goes i suppose, just wish i had more knowledge about these cars.

You could have a non-cat C car (R1 engined) for a only a few £k more ... contemplating putting mine up for sale due to lack of use. PM me if you're interested

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.