Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megasquirt Data Logger / Display with GPS
AntonUK

posted on 11/11/16 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Megasquirt Data Logger / Display with GPS

Hi All,
This one is a little car related project I've been working on a while, but during my week off I've managed to finish it. It just needs mounting a proper box and installing into the car.

The system takes a serial feed from the megasquirt (msextra v2) to process and then display selected valued on an dash mounted 20*4 LCD. In addition to the LCD there is a small 1" OLED to be mounted on the steering column that displays speed, rpm and fuel level. Speed is taken from a GPS receiver built in.

All values can be logged to the SD card too.

I'm quite pleased with it... any comments or suggestions. Possible mods I've about is G-force data, Bluetooth connectivity and ability to log max/min values.

Datalogger
Datalogger

Build Photos Here

Huttojb

posted on 11/11/16 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Anton

I'm doing the same sort of thing on my build, nearly finished myself, we definitely need to exchange notes.

What Micro and compiler you using?

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

If only DEAD people understand hexadecimal - 57,005

Huttojb

posted on 11/11/16 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Actually I can see, looks like an UNO.

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don’t.

AntonUK

posted on 11/11/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
its running on a Arduino mega 2560 as i ran into memory issues with the UNO, code has since shrunk but the additional hardware serial's are useful so sticking with the Mega.

Are you interfacing via CAN or serial to the ECU? I couldn't get the CANbus working.

Build Photos Here

locost@mintynet.com

posted on 11/11/16 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Gents,

Im building a similar device.

Originally built for MS1 using the serial 9600 comms, Arduino Mega, Neo 6M GPS, DS3231 RTC, SDLogger, 2 x 20x4 LCD, XYZ Accelerometer, Neo Pixel (RPM/Satelite Indicator), physical button array.

I have upgraded it to communicate with the MS2 CPU using a MCP2515 CAN BUS adaptor (leaving the COM port on the MS2 to be used for Autotune/Logging), the biggest problem with CANBUS was to terminate the MCP2515, I have also added a 2.8" Nextion Serial controlled display and removed the physical button array. I have still to work out how to send data from the Arduino to the MS2 over CANBUS.

Have a look at the Nextion displays for showing data.

Have a look at my website on the link below.

http://mintynet.7host.com/?len=9999&date=20161110

Any question please feel free to ask.

Regards

Ian

[Edited on 11/11/16 by locost@mintynet.com]

AntonUK

posted on 11/11/16 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Id be interested to see your code/setup for the MCP2515, I could not get anything from it?

Build Photos Here

locost@mintynet.com

posted on 11/11/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Drop me a U2U with your email details and I'll email over my code, there are still a few bugs but I will try to explain them.
Huttojb

posted on 12/11/16 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Anton.

I have my kit car running on the CANbus and most of the electrics are now operating on the CANbus with 4 nodes now fitted to my car. I can give you my test code and Basic breadboard layout. When building the nodes I do the Core breadboard layout and then load my test code to ensure CAN and the micro work correctly, then I add the require electronics around it.

I do use Microchip PIC18F4680 with the C18 compiler, if your interested I can send you the Core board data and code.

Also if you fancy visiting I be happy to show you what I've done. Ive been meaning to make some videos over the last few days because I want to post the build so far and see what other members think. I know that it might be frowned at but I want to write about my reasoning.

I do want to put a GLCD on with possible a PIC32 driving it with the new environment but never done a LCD before so just getting the core electrics done. The good thing about CAN is you can easiler add a node after and just keep growing. But I will explain all this in my post about it ( when I can be bothered to video it )

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

locost@mintynet.com

posted on 12/11/16 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Jason

Where in the country are you located? I would like to have a look.

Thanks

Ian

Huttojb

posted on 12/11/16 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sunny Birmingham.

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

Huttojb

posted on 14/11/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Where you located Ian?

Jason

huttojb_GenTiger
huttojb_GenTiger

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.