Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch change.. why flywheel?
tegwin

posted on 21/11/16 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch change.. why flywheel?

Quick question..

I spoke to a local garage about getting my clutch changed. They suggested I might need to change the flywheel at the same time but they wouldnt know until they look.

Its an "old fashioned car" without a dual mass flywheel. Under what circumstances would I need to replace the flywheel? Flywheel is £200 so trying to avoid that one if I can!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nick205

posted on 21/11/16 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Fair question - I'm aware DMFs can need to be replaced, but I understood older "solid" flywheels didn't need to be. Possible I suppose that it could get damaged, but it seems unlikely. Garage covering their backside perhaps?

mcerd1

posted on 21/11/16 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ what he said

if its really badly scored you can normally get them re-ground too (although new may just make be to make the garages life easy)

what car / engine is it ?

-

tegwin

posted on 21/11/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 2001 6n2 polo gti with a 1.6 16v ebgine. An obscure model but nothing super special

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

britishtrident

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
The usual reason is because the starter ring gear is chewed, ring gear aren't available for most cars.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

motivforz

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Radial cracks normally appear in used flywheels, typically with a bit of blueing on the surface from overheating. Occasionally surface cracks (only on the friction contact region!) turn into larger cracks which will in time lead to failure.

Depending on the severity it can be worth replacing the flywheel - anything up to an inch and in the middle of the contact region, and only on the clutch side is likely to be fine - my opinion only.

Anything that's broken through to the engine side, or radiated out further than the clutch surface, is likely to be of concern and warrant either proper investigation, or more cost effective faster and easier, replacement.

Oh and the starter ring may be knackered.

tegwin

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm fair point about the starter ring. I don't have any issues starting the engine so I guess its ok...

I had better save up for the worst just incase... I would prefer to do the change myself but Its an awkward job to do on your back on a wet drive

snapper

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Who is suggesting this?
If Mr Clutch then beware as they tried to rip me off
I've never had to change a non DMF flywheel.
I would say to them "when you've got the gearbox off I'll come and have a look"
Most garages would not mention flywheel until they had seen it.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

steve m

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Awaits flak

your on a bloody car forum, and you will let some bunch of cu9nts change a clutch on a golf ?

do it yourself

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tegwin

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Awaits flak

your on a bloody car forum, and you will let some bunch of cu9nts change a clutch on a golf ?

do it yourself

steve

A valid point... and I did do it myself last time... Id love to do it myself but the gearbox is bloody awkward to get back in by yourself and its cold/raining outside.....

r1_pete

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Snapper, tell them anything more than the clutch and you want to examine the damage yourself.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 21/11/16 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
A fair point!

In their defence he did mention flywheel replacement before I told him that it didn't have a DMF... But yes, I shall be very weary!!

coyoteboy

posted on 21/11/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Never met a solid flywheel that needed replacing. Skimmed my gt4s (£40) because I'd tried to demolish it (repeated 4krpm launches until the friction plate shattered) and it showed a few blued areas but no cracking or scoring.

SCAR

posted on 22/11/16 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Done a load of clutches over the years and never had to replace a solid flywheel
dinosaurjuice

posted on 22/11/16 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I think the garage are just warning you that it 'might' need changing. They've probably had a bad experience with a customers car with a scored/cracked flywheel and the customer not understanding why the garage didn't know about this before the gearbox was removed.
nick205

posted on 22/11/16 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with your point above - doing it yourself isn't beyond your skill, but this time of year it's not a job I'd relish outside. Having to revisit to "inspect" the flywheel might add some delay, but it doesn't seem right that the flywheel should need replacing.

adithorp

posted on 22/11/16 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
I think the garage are just warning you that it 'might' need changing. They've probably had a bad experience with a customers car with a scored/cracked flywheel and the customer not understanding why the garage didn't know about this before the gearbox was removed.

That'd be my guess. I'm always careful to point out what is included in the estimate and that anything additional found along the way would be extra, though I'd also point out it was unlikely to need a flywheel. I have had cars that weren't supposed to be equipped with a DMF, turn out to have them when the gearbox came off.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.