Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Christmas is coming - DA sander/polisher?
SteveWallace

posted on 22/11/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Christmas is coming - DA sander/polisher?

SWMBO has asked my to suggest Christmas presents (from her to me). Some time next year I'll be starting to restore the body panels on my MG TC and prepping them for painting (most of them bare metal with surface rust). I will also have paint prep and polishing to do at some point

I'm thinking that a combined DA sander/polisher would be a good idea, but I'm not an expert in this sort of work.

Is that the correct tool for the job. If so, recommendations for make and model please. If not, what should I be looking at?

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
A DA Sander is great for prep and paint removal, the Orbital motion is powered the spinning motion is induced by the orbit.

A polisher is like a slow 9" angle grinder, but it must have slow start or you'll easily burn the paint.

Here's an example of each:

Silverline Silverstorm 1500W Sander Polisher 180mm 1500W Heavy Duty Polish Tool

Wolf 6" 150mm Random Dual Action DA Orbital Palm Air Sander Pneumatic Polishing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/11/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
if you want a DA air sander, you need a decent compressor. My 3hp one will just about keep up with a CP obe, but runs out of puff with a SIP (guess the CP has better tolerances etc, and costs rather more!)

I think there are electric DA sanders out there, watch out for abrasive costs, some are very expensive.
As to polisher, I have a 10 year old silverline orange one, works nicely, but is not DA.

Slimy38

posted on 22/11/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
A DA Sander is great for prep and paint removal, the Orbital motion is powered the spinning motion is induced by the orbit.

A polisher is like a slow 9" angle grinder, but it must have slow start or you'll easily burn the paint.

Here's an example of each:

Silverline Silverstorm 1500W Sander Polisher 180mm 1500W Heavy Duty Polish Tool

Wolf 6" 150mm Random Dual Action DA Orbital Palm Air Sander Pneumatic Polishing

I have the Silverline one, it's very effective but you do have to be careful not to stay in one place. I managed to get to a point where the polish had gone into rubbery beads rather than liquid, I'm guessing the paint would have been next if I had continued.

I don't remember paying that much for it though... I'm sure it was more like £30.

r1_pete

posted on 22/11/16 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I use the colour graded sponge mops and plenty of water with Farecla compounds, yep water and an electric tool is couter intuitive, so be careful, disposable overalls are a must too, the compound goes everywhere.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 23/11/16 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
If you're prepping panels, then it's a DA you want. There are plenty of electric ones around, which although dearer, don't need a 15cfm compressor to run.

I can't recommend a specific make, but mine is a Sealey & has lasted for years. Use the velcro backed pads for easy swapping of grades.

The same tool, with the right accessories can also be used for polishing, DUAL ACTION POLISHER BUFFER CAR MACHINE ELECTRIC SANDER DA KIT 150mm 240V DUREN & automatically gives you the slow start so you don't burn paint, for this use as said above Farecla compounds are just the job, tho' for a quick clean up of dirty or faded paint I still don't think T cut can be beaten

Once used you'll wonder what on earth you did without it - great for diy around the house too!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.