Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cam position sensor No.1
sprintB+

posted on 1/12/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
cam position sensor No.1

My Saab 95 petrol developed a fault driving home late last night. Just plugged in the fault code reader and its saying "Number one cam position sensor" I have erased the fault and the car runs great. Is that it, fixed? or will it have a long term fault on the way? it is back to being a flying machine at the moment, but I do worry. Any help greatly appreciated.
gremlin1234

posted on 1/12/16 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
could it be caused by the cold weather?
obfripper

posted on 1/12/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Your vehicle uses the ignition coil feedback (ionisation voltage) to calculate the cam phase, burnt out or incorrect plugs can cause the fault code you have.
It will also affect the performance of the vehicle as the spark advance is calculated using the ionisation voltage, and any problems with the system will force the system to default to safe values.
If the plugs are good and oe spec, you may have a fault with the dic (direct ignition cassette), ONLY replace with a genuine dic, the patterned ones are expensive paperweights that either return the codes you already have or fail in a short period of time.

Dave

sprintB+

posted on 1/12/16 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I have cleaned the plug connections, they were a bit grimy. Plugs etc. all OK Car is running fine at present. May have sorted it, for now any way. Interesting that the traction control light came on, even though it was turned off. Off to a foreign shore tomorrow with it, so here's hoping
britishtrident

posted on 1/12/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to watch if you are using a generic OBD code reader is that while many code defintions are universal many more codes are manufacturer dependant, you need to check the actual fault code number against the defintion list for that specific vehicle.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

pewe

posted on 2/12/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
One thing to watch if you are using a generic OBD code reader is that while many code defintions are universal many more codes are manufacturer dependant, you need to check the actual fault code number against the defintion list for that specific vehicle.

On that basis if it's the same as my 9-5 I'd be inclined to change the crank position sensor as a) they're realitvely cheap and easy to do - just ensure you remove the old O ring otherwise you'll crack the new sensor mounting plate and b) that eliminates one possible fault.
As for DI packs do as said above ^^ and replace with a new OE part - fleabay ones just ain't worth it - ask me how I know!
If you haven't already been there SAABscene is worth a look.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

sprintB+

posted on 9/12/16 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Just got back from a fast road trip of over 400 miles, no problems so far, but I do intend to give it all a good service over the forth coming break, I will not mention The C word yet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.