Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm Redundant....
r1_pete

posted on 3/12/16 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I'm Redundant....

I took VR and finished yesterday.

Effectively been working with the same company for 32 years.

Its going to be very strange not making the daily Sheffield - Chesterfield commute to deal with the corporate crap.

I certainly wont miss the company, but the people - thats a different matter.

What to do now, anyone gone through the same? Any tips?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 3/12/16 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Take it as a rest for a couple of months, as I have

I took VR/ early retirement back in may this year, after 26 years of torture, at Virgin atlantic , and have never regretted it
I have a couple of part time jobs, driving and working with a friend, as a labourer, and love it !!

The bizarre thing is, that apart from putting a new bathroom in, new lounge carpet, some decorating, etc, I havnt used much of my redundancy payment, I can only assume, that no commuting/fuel , and expense of eating in the subsidized canteen, that the workers subsidized not Virgin ! I am actually saving money not going to work

One down side to not being at VA is missing some fantastic friends, some of which ive known 30 + years from previous Airlines

I am 56, and do not plan on taking any of my pension until I am over 60

But as I said first, enjoy some time off, first,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 3/12/16 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
If you can afford it as said have a break and reassess what you would like to do .
morcus

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
My dad has been telling me for years he wants to be made redundant so he can afford to set up a business. as others above said you'll now realise just how much of your wages you spent going to work.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/12/16 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
My dad has been telling me for years he wants to be made redundant so he can afford to set up a business. as others above said you'll now realise just how much of your wages you spent going to work.

I took 12 month out when i took VR, only looking for the next job after 9 months or so. Eventually I spent quite a few years as an IT contactor. When I took VR I was working only 12 miles from work, but started commuting when I started contract work. I used to travel daily into London from south Suffolk, so you can imagine how much I was spending on train fares! At least as a contractor I could factor in the travelling costs.

The time-out after VR was a blessing - I hadn't realised how stressed out I was in a crappy work environment, and being able to unwind was wonderful. It also changed my attitude to work, as I developed a "work is work, home time is my own" outlook to life.

Mash

posted on 3/12/16 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
I retired 3 years ago, and apart from the people, have never regretted it

I saved over 1500 a year just on fuel, so if you add the teas and biscuits, meal deals at lunch time, afternoon cakes, that must be quite a lot.

I have a couple of part time jobs, one as an instructor with the Air Cadet Organisation (which I've done for years anyway), I work for a local classic motorcycle business, delivering and collecting bikes and building wheels, and have joined the Fire Service (I'm the oldest Fire Fighter in Dorset ). SWMBO keeps me busy, and I'm building an extension on our house. Really don't know how I managed to find time to go to work, and I don't miss the stress of working in IT.

I do miss the daily contact with my friends, and just general meeting people as we live well off the beaten track, but i still keep in contact with workmates going for the odd curry.

Take a rest, as everyone else has said, but keep your eyes open for something, as I did find it hard to find the motorbike job mainly due to age.

SteveWallace

posted on 3/12/16 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same thing 3-4 years ago. It just feels like an extended holiday for a while, but after that you realise that you need to do something to keep your brain and body active. There are only so many episodes of 'The Professionals' on daytime TV that you can watch! As others have said, its the people that you miss, but unless you start to do something else, it can be the challenge and making a contribution to the world as well (depending on the job you left).

In my case, I have ended up splitting my time 3 ways: I) I'm working part time as an environmental consultant on a day rate basis, ii) I'm doing a degree in astronomy by distance learning and have joined a local astronomy club, iii) gives me more time to work on my MG TC restoration.

Even if you count all of that as work, I still have more time for family stuff - i.e. a better work/life balance.

My advice would be to take some time out and think about what really makes you tick and what you want to get out of life. You might be surprised at what you conclude. I discovered that I like conveying knowledge through presentations/talks and giving advice to people on stuff that I know about (even if its just answering a question or two on here), so I've looked for opportunities to do that in the three things above.

CosKev3

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Compared to us younger generation you lot are quite lucky!

Majority of my work colleagues /friends are mortgaged well past the age of 60,so not much chance of early retirement for most of us

mark chandler

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
We took our mortgage out for a shorter term so i can exit at 60, I do feel sorry for the younger generation daughter included these low interest rates have thrown house prices out of all perspective.
ianhurley20

posted on 3/12/16 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was made redundant two months after buying a new house! The good news was that because of my age they made it compulsory retirement and gave me the pension I would have had at retirement age. Nevertheless I panicked a bit and searched for a job and got one in less than a month in media marketing working for a company called TRO. Very nice for a bit but then my old employers contacted me and asked me to come back and they would pay me 3 times what they used to but only when they needed me due to shortages in staff. I did and worked 15 weeks that year for them at 3 times the pay and with a pension. I branched out a bit as a self employed person doing various contracts in IT training and other subjects for law enforcement agencies.

It was a terrible shock to begin with and is now 11 years ago and now I am 2 months off government pension. It has been for me a real opportunity and has allowed me to try all the things I wanted to do but couldn't. I've done all sorts of different jobs that I wouldn't have been able to. I've built a small yacht, changed it for a bigger one, sold it and built a Haynes Roadster, not sure what next, I've got a couple of years playing with that and maybe taking it to LeMans or .......

If I could go back I wouldn't panic into getting a job but look at what skill sets I had and look for employment in that field or , as I did, go self employed providing the same sort of job service I used to do but on short term contract basis for various employers. After 32 years with a company you will have built up contacts, make use of them if you can. After that length of time you will have a tremendous skill set, use it to do what you want.

coozer

posted on 3/12/16 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I was made redundant when the japs decided to move to factory to Poland....

Anyway, I was worried about of, thought my life was finished....

Signed on for 6 month and milked them for training.. They paid for my class 2 HGV and put £600 towards my class 1...

More than happy now but looking back there's no way I will ever go back to sign on whatever happens!!!

According to the news last night we are 50,000 truck drivers short, so if you can get the gov to pay go for it!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dave Bailey

posted on 3/12/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I was made redundant in May, took the summer off and now looking for a job... At 56 it is proving a bit difficult but I will keep plugging away.... I'm being a bit picky which isn't helping but I have to enjoy what I'm doing.

Dave B

r1_pete

posted on 3/12/16 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies chaps, definately some food for thought there.

Think Im going to take a year off at least, we havent had a motgage for 12 years now, and I will get an interim pension enhancement due to a TUPE 13 years ago, so finance isnt the big worry, I just dont want to become a couch spud.

[Edited on 3/12/16 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 3/12/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
If money isn't a worry I suggest that you do something special in your time off - something you wouldn't otherwise be able to do. Travel, study something that's nothing to do with your work, learn a new skill, whatever. Pick something that you might not be able to do at normal retirement age.

Make your time out memorable...

lsdweb

posted on 3/12/16 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I retired from the fire service at 50, two and a half years ago. My wife and I invested in some property and I spent 18 months refurbishing and extending them. We run one as a holiday rental (www.llanelli.holiday) and the others as rental properties and these keep us pretty busy.

I tried consultancy work (fire safety) but don't do enough to make it worth while.

I did a full year of sprinting and hillclimbing. Somehow, I've ended up coaching a lot of football (goalkeepers) and spending about 20 hours a week doing it.

I would suggest just 'going with the flow'!

Wyn

SJ

posted on 3/12/16 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm Redundant....

Technically you're not redundant, your job is. If money isn't a major problem then you are free to do what the hell you want. Enjoy!

steve m

posted on 3/12/16 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
"Technically you're not redundant, your job is. "

not so, my job is still going exactly as it was before May 2016 when i left, and the same job title
in my case, they wanted the over 20 years service people, with concessions, and a better pension, out

so I left,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.