Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Separate parking lights anyone?
rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Separate parking lights anyone?

Hi!

I'm going for the Hella projector units for my build because the price and quality is good. But they don't have parking lights built in. I can't find any stand alone parking light units. So any exist?

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be possible to use a set of daytime running lights? From what I can see the E marks don't state what the light is for! So how would an IVA examiner know if the light is intended as a daytime running light or a parking light?

There's also a note in the IVA manual saying that a single light can combine the function of two lights so long as the requirements of both are met. But a daytime light must switch off when the headlights come on, while a parking light has no such feature. So not sure if daytime lights can cover the function of the parking light.

gremlin1234

posted on 3/12/16 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rcx718
Hi!

I'm going for the Hella projector units for my build because the price and quality is good. But they don't have parking lights built in. I can't find any stand alone parking light units. So any exist?
you will need front position (side) lamps

separate parking lights do exist, but it is usual just to use the position lamps.

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I must have mixed up terminology. I meant position lights. The ones that are usually present within the headlight as a little bulb. The Hella units don't have them!
gremlin1234

posted on 3/12/16 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
these two pages would be a good start ;-)
" LED Front Position Lamp SIRIUS" £14 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/322337582054 eBay Item

this one is 24v though
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400573960771 eBay Item

[Edited on 3/12/16 by gremlin1234]

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Those first ones are ECE marked which, Wikipedia says is a worldwide approval scheme. I hope that trumps the need for an E marking for the IVA test.
gremlin1234

posted on 3/12/16 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks. Those first ones are ECE marked which, Wikipedia says is a worldwide approval scheme. I hope that trumps the need for an E marking for the IVA test.
about the only light that has to be 'e' marked for iva is the rear fog, that also needs 'B' or 'F' markings too

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
about the only light that has to be 'e' marked for iva is the rear fog, that also needs 'B' or 'F' markings too

Thanks. I just looked at the aftermarket fog light fitted to my jeep. It has an E4 mark and above it F1. Do you know if F1 is an F mark? I was hoping to use the same light as it's very solid and only £15.

gremlin1234

posted on 3/12/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I just looked at the aftermarket fog light fitted to my jeep. It has an E4 mark and above it F1. Do you know if F1 is an F mark?
seems very likely!
do you have a picture of the markings?

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote

gremlin1234

posted on 3/12/16 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
certainly looks right for fog

rcx718

posted on 3/12/16 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to email VOSA. I don't want to be replacing. I cant find anything about F marks to be sure that 00 F1 is ok.
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/12/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
to go back to the side lights, it is possible to use DRL leds with a control unit that reduces the light output when they need to be sides. IIRC the IVA manual says this is fine, there are just rules as to when they have to dip. I have projector lights and a led strip drl at the front under both cycle arches, bright with ignition, otherwise dim alike sides.

search for drl control on the bay and you will see what I'm on about.

SteveWalker

posted on 4/12/16 at 01:12 AM Reply With Quote
Could the headlight itself be dimmed to the level of a position light by switching in a resistor or using a PWM drive when sidelights only are required? Would this meet the requirements?
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 4/12/16 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst dimming the main bulb might be possible I would rather have a separate bulb. Part of the reason is to have a fall back plan if there is a bulb failure, ie others can still see both sides of you car when approaching and not think you are a motorbike.

I can't remember if the iva enforces the separate bulb.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.