Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tyre speed ratings - rip off in progress?
jps

posted on 6/12/16 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Tyre speed ratings - rip off in progress?

Having run my Kia Ceed SW (estate) for 36k now it needs some new front tyres - the ones currently on it were on it from new.

The code on the side shows 205/55/R16/91H - which I read as H for the speed rating - good for 210km/h - 131mph. Kias own tech spec shows the top speed as 193km/h - 120mph. At best the non-estate version of the Ceed (which I had assumed would be quicker) is show as topping out at 200km/h / 124mph - so my version is the fastest Ceed on paper...

But the online "put in my reg and tell me what tyres I need" tools I have used tell me I need a V rated tyre (up to 240km/h) - which funnily enough seem to be more expensive than the H versions of the equivalent tyres...?

Is there any actual explanation for this - or are tyre suppliers just trying to convince people they need a higher rated (more expensive) tyre than they actually do...?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/12/16 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just covering themselves probably 205/55/16 tyres are cheap enough anyway
gremlin1234

posted on 6/12/16 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
since most manufacturers of that size tyre make it in v rating, they tend to be the cheaper option.
if you look at blackcircles website, its only winter tyres listed as having less than v rating for that size.

what make are the original tyres?

jps

posted on 6/12/16 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Original tyres were Hankook - and I've gone for the same as replacement (mainly because they score good for economy on the A-F rating given). Strangely I've just gone back to the site I was looking at and now can't find the ones I was looking at listed...! But there was a few quid difference on the tyre between the H and V - the V being more expensive...

EDIT - jsut had a look on BlackCircles to see if i'd gone mad - but they do exist in the size/rating i've ordered - the specific tyre is a Hankook Kinergy Eco K425 (the choice was so massive I had no idea what to buy if i'm honest!)

[Edited on 6/12/16 by jps]

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/16 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
forget the tyres that are on the car and defiantly ignore online tyre selectors - I've found they are wrong more often than not...

what does handbook say it should have ? that's what the car was type approved with and what you'd need to have for construction and use (should something happen a pedantic insurance company may not pay out otherwise...)

also remember that the speed quoted in the ratings are only for a few min at a time and not full loaded either, never mind with no allowance for a less than perfect surface etc....

-

jps

posted on 7/12/16 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1forget the tyres that are on the car

But they are the tyres that were on it from the factory....

mcerd1

posted on 7/12/16 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ but even they could be over specified if they had some spare...

-

jps

posted on 7/12/16 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
^^^ but even they could be over specified if they had some spare...

But that's my point - the ones fitted on the car from new are H rated - which it tallies with the published top speeds...

But the calculators based on my VRM indicate V - which is higher rated and, in some cases, more expensive...

morcus

posted on 7/12/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same experience, though I had no intention of buying online but went on there to look. Oddly no one in town stocked the tyres Ford said should be on a Ford Focus but Halfords were able to have me some for the next day for a reasonable price.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

craig1410

posted on 7/12/16 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Try these guys - I always get my tyres here as I can never match the prices anywhere else.

http://camskill.co.uk

NTDWM by the way, just a happy customer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.