Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Active wheel sensor
turbodisplay

posted on 6/12/16 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Active wheel sensor

Hi, I`m not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree with this:
I'm looking for a wheel abs sensor that uses a toothed wheel, but is active (not a VR sensor).
Ideally a 7-14mA type sensor (two wire).
I'm looking at some Vag ones arround 2000, which look like they do the job, but I'm not 100% sure. Looking on the net I have not found anything that confirms this.
Thanks
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 7/12/16 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
A normal active sensor will only work with an encoded magnetic ring(either an asb bearing or a trigger ring on the hub/driveshaft).
There are some bmw active sensors that are magnetic biased type that will work with a slotted trigger, they're used on the rear axle of 4 cylinder e90 diesels but bmw use more than 1 sensor type (and they all look like vr sensors on the outside) so you need to do your research to get the correct ones.

You could use the internal sensing component if you have means to package it.
http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/sensor/magnetic-speed-sensor/TLE4951CB/productType.html?productType=db3a304443537c4e014391123dd9043a
This looks to be the correct type for your application.

Dave

DW100

posted on 7/12/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Tell us more about the application and I may be able to suggest something.

As has already been said active wheel speed sensors tend to work with a ring made of multiple magnets and it counts the north and south poles as they pass. They normally only have 2 wires a ground and a supply wire that is modulated by the sensor.

If you just need a digital type output sensor then a Hall effect crank or cam sensor may be more suitable.

turbodisplay

posted on 7/12/16 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I did actually find that the E46 BMW has normal abs rings and steel trigger, with what apears to be active sensors.
I bought some on ebay and an audi sensor that may be active too.
I will do an experiment and see if they work correctly.
It is for a race abs system, the car in question has hubs that require a trigger wheel on the CV joint.
Thanks for the link, my transmission controller needs an steel trigger sensor for the rear speed sensor, may be useful.
Thanks
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.