Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 7/12/16 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Electric fuel pump

Hi
Just been given an electric fuel pump, I'm fitting it because when my car has been stood for a week or so it takes a while for the car to start, I'm sure this is due to the fuel draining back to the tank, so an electric pump should solve that.
It currently has the ford Sierra set up, fuel goes from the pump to a ' regulator ?' or whatever, there's one inlet and two outlets, one pipe to the carb and the other goes back to the tank, I believe it has something to do with the fuel pressure.

Now, the question is, can my new pump go straight to the carb or should I just plumb every thing back as it is
now ??
Any help appreciated
Thanks

Hal

rusty nuts

posted on 7/12/16 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
It may depend on the pressure and flow rate , you may need a regulator? Might be worth fitting it if it is a low pressure type pump and see how you get on?
CosKev3

posted on 8/12/16 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to try it you will need to pipe it up as it is now,into the regulater first imo as the pump direct to the carb will just keep pushing fuel into the carb and it will fill up then fill your engine with fuel.

Depending on the flow of the pump it might be too strong for the standard regulater set up too though,as carbs don't really require fuel being supplied at pressure,they just the float bowls to be kept full.

You really need to know the pressure of the new pump and the old one before trying it

[Edited on 8/12/16 by CosKev3]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 8/12/16 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Thanks for the replies, it's a facet red top which I think has a flow of 35 galls per hr / 6 - 7 psi.
I'll assume that this is more than I need because it's the top spec pump, it's going on a 2ltr pinto

I'll run it through the regulator as original pipework and see how it goes.

I've also got to fit a cutout switch to it, looked at those that work off oil pressure switch, that would then need a by pass switch or should I look for a different type,
There are some on eBay that work if you have a bump or rollover, around £10 ish,
or shall I not bother.

Has anyone else left it out ?
Thanks
Hal

rusty nuts

posted on 8/12/16 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Would be a good idea to fit an inertia switch , loads of them in breakers yards. Make sure you get the multi plug and as much wire asyou can get .

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.