Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half-Shaft Refurbishment
scootz

posted on 8/12/16 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Half-Shaft Refurbishment

Can anyone help please with a recommendation for someone to refurbish a pair of half-shafts for me?

I don't think there's anything wrong with them - just want them stripped, cleaned, re-painted and reassembled.

Cheers

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 8/12/16 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe be me missing the point, but are half-shafts not inside live axles?

Drive-shafts I've refurbished, but I can't see what would need doing to half-shafts.

scootz

posted on 8/12/16 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use the word half-shafts as using the term drive-shafts brings into play what I would call prop-shafts with some folk.

But yes, I mean these fella's...

It's Evolution Baby!

steve m

posted on 8/12/16 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
It probably too far for you to drive

But I dropped off my propshaft to Autoprop in Sussex, only yesterday for a refurb and balance
It should be back with me next week, but im in no rush

http://www.autoprop-uk.co.uk/contact.php

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 8/12/16 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I use the word half-shafts as using the term drive-shafts brings into play what I would call prop-shafts with some folk.

But yes, I mean these fella's...

Aha, that's clarified it and agrees entirely with my thinking.

Usually you can buy refub kits from a motor factors. That said I got genuine Ford refurb kits for my Sierra drive-shafts from my local Ford main dealer.

scootz

posted on 8/12/16 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cheer guys.

I've been talking with a local(ish) company called Driveline Scotland Ltd. They would need to see my shafts, but reckon to budget around a £110 a shaft to refurbish to 'as new'.

It's Evolution Baby!

raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 9/12/16 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy a brand new pair of driveshafts off eBay for £160 for the pair.

I don't understand refurbing or people buying 20 year old driveshafts that have done 150,000 miles .

I have some in my Hayabusa powered Mk that I use on track and they are fine

nick205

posted on 9/12/16 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
My refurb of my Sierra drive-shafts consisted of new metal cans, o-rings, grease, gaitors and clips. I re-used the actual bearings and tripods, which were fine. The drive-shafts worked faultlessly thereafter and never leaked. I did the rufurb because the gaitors were split and the refurb kits from the local Ford main dealer were something like £15 per drive-shaft. Removing the metail cans and peining the replacement ones in place was tricky, but worked fine.

Personally it's not a job I'd pay someone else to do for me, but then I'm a bit tight like that really.

scootz

posted on 9/12/16 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raptor700
You can buy a brand new pair of driveshafts off eBay for £160 for the pair.

Bit of a broad statement.

The shafts I am looking for have been discontinued by the manufacturer, and there are no aftermarket offerings.

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 9/12/16 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My refurb of my Sierra drive-shafts consisted of new metal cans, o-rings, grease, gaitors and clips. I re-used the actual bearings and tripods, which were fine. The drive-shafts worked faultlessly thereafter and never leaked. I did the rufurb because the gaitors were split and the refurb kits from the local Ford main dealer were something like £15 per drive-shaft. Removing the metail cans and peining the replacement ones in place was tricky, but worked fine.

Personally it's not a job I'd pay someone else to do for me, but then I'm a bit tight like that really.

There are however aftermarket gaiter kits for the shafts available for not a lot of cash... but the owners club members generally agree that they are rubbish.

Just established that OE kits were still available from the manufacturer - not cheap though. Set of 2 inner kits, 2 outer kits and a pair of shaft to transmission circlips comes in at £241.83. Add powder coat for the 2 shafts and that price rises. And that's assuming the CV joints are fine.

It's Evolution Baby!

luke2152

posted on 9/12/16 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dodsons made me new driveshafts in a different length for £100 per side and made them far beefier than the originals - great job and they just needed to know the lenght and spline pattern for each end. They did take their bloody time doing it though.
nick205

posted on 12/12/16 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

There are however aftermarket gaiter kits for the shafts available for not a lot of cash... but the owners club members generally agree that they are rubbish.

Just established that OE kits were still available from the manufacturer - not cheap though. Set of 2 inner kits, 2 outer kits and a pair of shaft to transmission circlips comes in at £241.83. Add powder coat for the 2 shafts and that price rises. And that's assuming the CV joints are fine.

OK - seems a tad pricey to me.

Personally I'd be spray painting the shafts to avoid the cost of having them powder coated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.