Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sparky type question
theconrodkid

posted on 8/12/16 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
sparky type question

I want to renew the power cable from my house fuse box to my garage,at the moment it is a length of T+E dangling in the breeze,what would be best,same again in plastic conduit or armoured ?.
it is only around 8 feet and to bury it would involve concrete and digging up the garden so i dont really want to go that route .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

slingshot2000

posted on 8/12/16 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you decide on, it should really be suspended from a catenary wire. I had to buy a 100M drum earlier this year for a 25M job. I can let you have a length with the ends made FOC.

Regards
Jon

cliftyhanger

posted on 9/12/16 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if this helps, but it is what I have done.
From (32A) RCBO in consumer unit, 6mm std T+E to where the cable leaves the house. There I have a convenient 45A switch inside. Used T+E to go through the cavity wall, and a (external grade)junction box outside. This enables a neat 90 degree connection as it then changes to armoured cable, and is in hefty conduit (like the stuff up telegraph poles) down to the ground.
I know you don't want to bury it, but above ground outside armoured can be no bad thing, and could be a requirement?

Inside the garage, long way up the garden, I have a separate consumer unit. It also has its own earth via an earthing rod just behind the garage.

nick205

posted on 9/12/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
When we added a conservatory at the rear of our house (some years ago) the builder brought in a sparky for the electrics. He ran an armoured cable from the consumer unit in the garage (front of the house) through the wall and around the house (under some wall tiles). Like you having to bury the cable would have meant digging up pathways etc.

For what you're doing I'd be using armoured cable for the job. We're about to install and power a shed in our garden. That will be done with armoured cable buried in the garden. Certainly I'm no expert on this, but I believe certain regulations apply in these situations.

SJ

posted on 9/12/16 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
8 feet is too far for unsupported plastic conduit. You could either put something in to support the conduit and run 6mm T&E in it or get some 6mm SWA and tie it to a catenary.

Stu

theconrodkid

posted on 9/12/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies peeps,Slingshot,you have u2u

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.