Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hairline split in radiator - can it be fixed
02GF74

posted on 10/12/16 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
hairline split in radiator - can it be fixed

Have found a 1 cm long hairline split in radiator, between water inlet and oil coolet inley. It is plastic radiator, volvo 850.

Can it be fixed, if so how?

I realise the temperature cyle is a lot, 100 c, as well as being under pressure which is not in my favour.

Clean and dry area, some epoxy resin (or would pu be better?)and maybe a small patch on top, or am i dreaming?

Replacing radiator is huge task.

britishtrident

posted on 10/12/16 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Short term fix at best

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

02GF74

posted on 10/12/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh i realise that, if it lasts until spring when days get wamer and longer thatll
Do.

So epixy or pu type, im thinking pu, got some bostik strong stuff i think better as it is flexible and says for plastic on the tube

mcramsay

posted on 10/12/16 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would take the hit and change the radiator. The crack is only going to get worse no matter what you put over it. And Sod's law says that it will fail when you are in the middle of nowhere. Or it will cause more damage. If it's cracked the cooling system won't pressurise, too much risk of overheating in my view.
pewe

posted on 10/12/16 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I reckon if you score it heavily with a Stanley knife and then apply some thin ali mesh held in place by a generous amount of JBWeld it should be OK.
However do you really want/can you afford to risk your pride and joy to at best a temporary fix ^^?
As you know the water temp guage will only tell you the temp of the water that's in the system not if there's water in the system.
Fleabay shows rads at c.£75 - worth the gamble not spending that amount?
Cheers, Pewe10

Smoking Frog

posted on 10/12/16 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Had the same problem and used JBWeld as a temporary fix. Lasted over ten years, just luck I guess, but for piece of mind I'd fit a new rad as I would never trust it over a long journey.
craig1410

posted on 10/12/16 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you do decide to repair it then I'd suggest drilling the ends of the crack (2mm maybe) to stop the crack spreading and using those holes to screw in small self tappers to secure whatever you use on top to patch it, assuming a patch is possible here. Choice of adhesive and surface preparation is crucial as you want adhesive with good bond but a bit of give and ideally similar thermal expansion to the rest of the plastic.

Best bet is obviously to replace the radiator but I would be tempted to repair it.

r1_pete

posted on 10/12/16 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
How about solvent weld used for plastic pipe, if you have some cellulose thinner wipe a little on the rad plastic, if you get black on the cloth and the surface of the plastic is affected, solvent weld will seal it if worked well into the split.

Failing that how about the soldering iron trick?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 10/12/16 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for JB weld. I put a temp sensor in a thermostat housing with a hole too big (like m10 sensor in m14 hole or something like that) with JB weld to fill the gap as a temp fix and its still holding years later taking the full heat and pressure of the cooling system.
Jon Ison

posted on 10/12/16 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Always carried body filler for temporary repairs in my grass track days, lasts for years.
02GF74

posted on 10/12/16 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for advice, warnings etc.

I know its a bodge but the tiny dribble has been there a while and there is coolant level sensor. Initially i thought hose was leaking but after cutting off 2 cm off it which didnt fix it, i came to conclusion radiator was holed, sadly removing hose and having a closer look and proding i found the crack (as the bishop said to the actress)

Using bostik sticky pu stuff with small ali plate for now but will get a tube of jbweld for repair mk2.

Worst case ill replace rad over the post xmas - pre new yr period.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.