Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil level with billet sump
limpetminer

posted on 15/12/16 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Oil level with billet sump

I have just bought an MK idy fitted with a GSXR 1000 motor which has a Rilltech billet case sump,i am not sure how to check the oil level because in the manual that came with it says you should rev the engine to 3000 rpm with oil warm top up oil until sight glass is almost full then switch off & put in a further 1/3 of a quart.This seems like an awful lot can anyone help i dont want to over fill it.
CosKev3

posted on 15/12/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
If the gsxr engine is like the R1 they can run quite a big overfill with no issues
snapper

posted on 15/12/16 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
This is a bit like the shortened sump and standard dipstick scenario

Two issues,
1, a dipstick level and sump oil level is relative to the the block and does not change regardless of how much you chop off the bottom of a sump.
Issue 2
The volume of oil in the sump is reduced as you shorten it and putting in the standard amount usually raises the level past the top level.
In a car this can raise the oil level enough so the rotating crank whips the oil into a useless froth BAD

SOLUTION

Fill sump to correct level by didpstick or sight glass + extra as previously said but have less volume of oil
or add some volume with an extension to the sump or a larger filter and oil cooler

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

W12 yne

posted on 15/12/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I will find the instructions, I have the paperwork/ instructions from when I recently purchased a Riltech sump. you can run it lower than you think which when discussing with Riltech supposedly increases power....

Wayne

W12 yne

posted on 15/12/16 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Limpetminer,

These instruction were in the box with my kit, also I discussed with Richard @ Riltech when I purchased the kit. I hope this is some help to you.

Setting oil levels for Suzuki
Haybusa and GSXR 1000/750/600cc

1st
fill oil to just over F mark on sight glass. Remove sparks plugs, loosen oil filter so there is a small gap between filter and case. turn over engine until 1/3 quart of oil comes past oil filter. then tighten oil filter. top up oil to F mark on sight glass. then loosen top oil cooler hose and turn over engine until oil is seen at connection, then tighten. turn engine over again till you see oil pressure. refit spark plugs.

2nd
top up oil again to top of F mark on sight glass. start engine and run until oil temperature is at a minimum of 170F.

3rd
hold throttle at 300rpm and look at sight glass and keep topping oil up until there is a small air bubble at the top of the sight glass. stop engine and pour in another 1/3 quart of oil, if over 1/2 quart, then you are ready to go racing.

if you car is fitted with an accusump, always remember to have it switched on when doing the procedure so the oil tank is full.

we recommend using 10/40w oil on temperatures up to 250F and 20/50W if you go over 250F.

We recommend if you do not change oil after each race weekend, after 3 hours of running same oil is removed and topped off like instruction.

Wayne

limpetminer

posted on 15/12/16 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for info, where is oil level on your engine when oil is cold & engine is switched off?
W12 yne

posted on 16/12/16 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
unfortunately I hav'nt had it running for long enough as I have no exhaust and still mid build

Cheers
Wayne

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.