Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welders etc Amazon Scam
miskit

posted on 15/12/16 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Welders etc Amazon Scam

Actually I think this extends beyond welders but that's where I found it.

Something expensive (like an Rtech Inverter MIG ) normal cost 4-500 quid on at £220 "Used" when you look at it, the supplier (using a phished amazon acc) has this :

"X-MAX OFFERS!!!The product was used only for advertising purposes in my store, and the price is so low because has been unpacked-,full warranty, full accessories New,never,used-Before buying let me know here Negoce#computer4u,com (please change the # to @) « Show less "

So the scam is to get you to give them a CC payment outside of Amazon. Then no product.

Actually a search on that text brings up a lot of examples of it

Hope that helps someone

John G

posted on 15/12/16 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a similar thing on a brewing system where they followed up an e mail query with an explanation similar to yours. If it seems to good to be true it probably is!
Regards John

bi22le

posted on 15/12/16 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
This is happening a lot with amazon accounts. I was watching it on watch dog or something.

Legitimate accounts that have had little recent actuvity get hijacked and then trade bogus products away from the secure trading method.

Amazon marketplace will not refund you if you fall for it.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

geoff shep

posted on 16/12/16 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm very sceptical of Amazon all together now. A lot of the stuff is from 'Market Place Traders' and seems little different from eBay - except that eBay gives better support. They refuse to do anything to help me when the seller does not respond to my emails, returns requests or even Amazon's emails to them.

They are clearly happy to let misleading listings remain. Even when errors are pointed out they simply say that is all the information they have from the manufacturer.

[Edited on 16/12/16 by geoff shep]

BenB

posted on 16/12/16 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment there are quite a few hacked Amazon accounts selling stuff like that. On a non-car (brewing) forum they've been tracing the same scammer offering boilers at almost-too-good-to-be-true prices on obviously hacked accounts- as soon as one account is closed by Amazon they move to another hacked account.
steve m

posted on 16/12/16 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The old saying,

"if its too good to be true" and "buyer beware"

both spring to mind,

I have never bought off Amazon, and probably never will,
if I need a specific item, I always go on ebay, and if not there, will buy off a reputable dealer/shop direct

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

David Jenkins

posted on 16/12/16 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Usually - with some exceptions - I always by items that are marked as "supplied by Amazon" or whatever the wording is. In other words, I buy from Amazon itself, not some trader dealing through them.

Also, all disputes, communications and payments go through the Amazon system - no 'back door' payments.

[Edited on 16/12/16 by David Jenkins]

miskit

posted on 16/12/16 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
The old saying,

"if its too good to be true"

They are wise to that one! I went to another listing, - this one was around about the normal expected price, and there was the same disguised email stuff only " contact us to check stock availability"

Both Amazon and ebay offer lots of buyer protection, but not if you purchase outside of their market place.

Anyway hope this maybe stops someone getting ripped off!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.