Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone know this car that is for sale
Jasmcauley

posted on 16/12/16 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know this car that is for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/caterham/all-models/2014/6583057

I'm in the market, I was going to look for something nice

I was hoping for an s2000 powered 7 but this one has jumped out as a good deal.

www.plant-i.co.uk
GPS tracking security

adampage

posted on 16/12/16 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know it, but...

...the spec seems a bit odd.

Seemingly a good Duratec, LSD etc but bog standard iron brake calipers.

I didn't know Caterham still sold those brakes as recently as 2014 except in the very lowest models, certainly not in the 200bhp models.....

But otherwise looks good!

Ad

jeffw

posted on 16/12/16 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
5 Speed Type 9, Megasquirt & Dash2 point to a very non-standard Caterham.

bi22le

posted on 17/12/16 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
If your budget can stretch to 17k and your not a pompous prick then wait a little longer.

Take off the reg plate and the badge and that will be worth half the asking price.

Sorry for the direct approach, I have had some Christmas
beers, but that seems alot. Is that what Caterhams cost these days?

Depending on ypur expectations and use I would suggest a well fettled alturnative manufacture with 50% power and 60% of the cost.

Just my 2p. Ill be checking in when I wake up to see if I get slammed for my reaction.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Adamirish

posted on 17/12/16 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
If your budget can stretch to 17k and your not a pompous prick then wait a little longer.

Take off the reg plate and the badge and that will be worth half the asking price.

Sorry for the direct approach, I have had some Christmas
beers, but that seems alot. Is that what Caterhams cost these days?

Depending on ypur expectations and use I would suggest a well fettled alturnative manufacture with 50% power and 60% of the cost.

Just my 2p. Ill be checking in when I wake up to see if I get slammed for my reaction.

I do tend to agree. Caterhams are savage money for what they are. BUT and it's a big but, they do hold their money better than just about any other car on sale. Certainly better than any other 7 that's for sure. But that particular car is far from original, how that would work with residual value I don't know.

For sub 12k you could buy a very well sorted Westfield. For sub 10k you could buy the cream of MK's/striker's etc. Is a caterham £6k better? I wouldn't be so sure.

For what it's worth, that does seem a "reasonable" price for a caterham from what I have seen. There is no way I could spunk that sort of money knowing for £5k+ less I could buy a car every bit as capable just without the badge.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

jeffw

posted on 17/12/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
It is an ex-race car which someone has done up and changed the engine out on. But you would be paying almost twice that for a 2014 Caterham with similar power that was a factory build.

40inches

posted on 17/12/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
A factory built car at around that price would be a late 90's build.
rdodger

posted on 17/12/16 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good for the money if you aren't obsessed with original factory build. A new carbon dash would finish it off well.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 17/12/16 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
As Jeff said ex race car now put on the road even with the non caterham spec it's still a lot of car for the money (caterham wise ) .
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/12/16 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Does look a sensibly priced vehicle, given all the observations. Road registered ex-race car...
Caterham's are very well built, superbly engineered, with all the support of a current manufacturer IF that's what you need in order to run it. Some folk seem to baulk at changing the oil on here. Anyway, the choice is yours, but I'd certainly consider it (if I had that sort of money).

Cast iron calipers are not really what I'd expect on a race car, so I assume the alloy originals were cooked on the circuit. The photos show different headlamps on the car, so I can only guess that there may have been a bit of swappage happening with another vehicle, or whatever..

CosKev3

posted on 17/12/16 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
He states in the advert the black headlights have just been fitted

Not a cateringvan fan myself,too small and don't like the look of the bodywork etc.

A nice Westfield would be my choice if I was looking at spending that sort of money

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.