Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear fog light angle - how critical?
Nickp

posted on 16/12/16 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Rear fog light angle - how critical?

I'm about to tackle my rear lights and have 6 x 90mm Perei round lights to mount. Stop/tail and indicators on each rear arch and fog / reverse on the rear tub, fairly standard.

My rear panel is 15deg off vertical, so how critical is this for the fog light for IVA? As it states-

9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear

As they're mounted so low on a '7' is seems to make sense to angle them up slightly surely? Even if the IVA man disagrees

adithorp

posted on 16/12/16 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
If it's not at 90 to the ground it'll fail IVA. You might get away with + - a couple of degrees but that's it.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Nickp

posted on 16/12/16 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If it's not at 90 to the ground it'll fail IVA. You might get away with + - a couple of degrees but that's it.

Ok, just seems daft when the others will be mounted at a slight angle Surely they should give a tolerance, like +/-5deg?
Need to sort a temporary solution for just the fog then so I can flush mount it again afterwards.

Am I right in thinking the reversing one is Ok angled? As it only states-

4. They must be positioned to face the rear

[Edited on 16/12/16 by Nickp]

[Edited on 16/12/16 by Nickp]

big-vee-twin

posted on 16/12/16 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
They are all ok at an angle with the exception of the fog which has to have the lens vertical, and yes they do check it.

[Edited on 16/12/16 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

ianhurley20

posted on 17/12/16 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
At my IVA the fog was checked with a square placed on the ground, none of the others were checked

loggyboy

posted on 17/12/16 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
Fog lights project and are very directional. They need to square as people in cars behind you need to see them, not aircraft.

Mistral Motorsport

Nickp

posted on 17/12/16 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Fog lights project and are very directional. They need to square as people in cars behind you need to see them, not aircraft.

Given a 15deg angle and an aircraft cruising at 30,000ft, the distance for the light to travel from my fog light to said aircraft is approximately 21.2 miles. Just saying

Toprivetguns

posted on 17/12/16 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
I'm about to tackle my rear lights and have 6 x 90mm Perei round lights to mount. Stop/tail and indicators on each rear arch and fog / reverse on the rear tub, fairly standard.

My rear panel is 15deg off vertical, so how critical is this for the fog light for IVA? As it states-

9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear

As they're mounted so low on a '7' is seems to make sense to angle them up slightly surely? Even if the IVA man disagrees

Make sure you fill the screw hole recesses with silicone or similar. All my lights were radius checked especially the foglight.
Sounds very minor, but it's the small oversights that catch you out.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

loggyboy

posted on 17/12/16 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Given a 15deg angle and an aircraft cruising at 30,000ft, the distance for the light to travel from my fog light to said aircraft is approximately 21.2 miles. Just saying

Obviously, but the point i was making is what you should be paying attention to!

Mistral Motorsport

snapper

posted on 18/12/16 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
You can fit a square fog light on a bracket from the lower lip of the rear panel
This may fall off later then you can fit you round ones

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

40inches

posted on 18/12/16 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
You can fit a square fog light on a bracket from the lower lip of the rear panel

CBS do Hella rear fog for about £10, they just make the minimum height and can fall off on the way back from IVA
Description
Description

Nickp

posted on 18/12/16 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:
Originally posted by snapper

CBS do Hella rear fog for about £10, they just make the minimum height and can fall off on the way back from IVA
Description
Description

That's a good call. I can fit one of these and a matching reversing light for the same price as the plinths to get my 'nice' fog light vertical. Only need to drill a single hole in the rear panel for it and can fit my proper ones in the same place later Might look a bit shite but'll do for the IVA

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.