Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rescuing a hashed harness
Ron Lang

posted on 20/12/16 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Rescuing a hashed harness

Trying to rescue/make up an engine harness for the 2L Zetec to Emerald as the previous owner had made a right mess of the current harness.

Does anyone have a proper wiring diagram for this harness? Pin outs can be found in the Emerald manual but otherwise I can't find anything on the harness itself. I have stripped it right back and labelled it all up so I know broadly whats happening (the builder had often changed cable colours three times on one run which is most helpful!). Also some cables are looking like they've been very hot so are presumably undersized.

Thanks,

Ron

[Edited on 20/12/16 by Ron Lang]

DW100

posted on 20/12/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald can supply a harness

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/full-looms-and-other-cables/full-westfield-zetec-wiring-harness-loom-for-emerald-ecu.html

Or else download the manual for your ECU and it should be in there.

Ron Lang

posted on 20/12/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
Emerald can supply a harness

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/full-looms-and-other-cables/full-westfield-zetec-wiring-harness-loom-for-emerald-ecu.html

Or else download the manual for your ECU and it should be in there.

I saw this - same price as the GBS harness - was just rather hoping to save the £300 making one myself. Feel free to advise me otherwise though as I've not priced it up yet (I'll be reusing the various connectors).

SPYDER

posted on 20/12/16 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help with any diagrams but I will recommend "Vehicle Wiring Products" in Ilkeston for all the wiring stuff you might need. Not too far from Leicester. I use a lot of their kit, heatshrink, connectors and the like.
Ron Lang

posted on 20/12/16 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
I can't help with any diagrams but I will recommend "Vehicle Wiring Products" in Ilkeston for all the wiring stuff you might need. Not too far from Leicester. I use a lot of their kit, heatshrink, connectors and the like.

Noted thanks!

mark chandler

posted on 20/12/16 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's a generic plug, just get new pins and a selection of wire of a decent quality.
Ron Lang

posted on 20/12/16 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Here is what I'm dealing with. The third picture is the now removed and labelled harness ready for me to replicate with new cable.

Harness Mess 1
Harness Mess 1

Harness Mess 2
Harness Mess 2

Harness Labelled
Harness Labelled

Theshed

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
As an alternative to differing colour wires can I suggest that you consider using all one colour and marking each end with bands of coloured heatshrink or heatshrink cable markers. That way you need only by one roll of wire (assuming that you are running all one gauge). If it works for the aircraft industry it will work in your car! Look at these...

International Colour Coded Cable Markers Heat Shrink Size 1.6/0.8 – Marking 0

As for wire.....there is wire and there is good wire. Some fair prices on ebay...
10m coil grey PTFE / teflon wire 0.34mm csa 22awg Nexans kz05-06 cable

or

PTFE / Kapton Cable British Aerospace SRAT Ni Pl 20 AWG

or

PTFE Teflon Cable Mil M22759 Tin Coated Cu 18 AWG

Ron Lang

posted on 21/12/16 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
As an alternative to differing colour wires can I suggest that you consider using all one colour and marking each end with bands of coloured heatshrink or heatshrink cable markers

Sounds like a great idea - although that might make fault finding mid-run more difficult?

The biggest issue I have currently is working out what the connections into the fuse box/chassis loom are. No connector was used so I had to chop of the harness at this point - of course, the colours also swapped again at this point!

nick205

posted on 21/12/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER

I can 2nd VWP as an excellent supplier to deal with.

Ron Lang

posted on 21/12/16 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
This is where I'm at with planning the new loom. Emerald came today and there are quite a few bits I'm confused about (e.g. Sensor ground). Will post a more thorough list of questions when I'm not trying to type on my phone...

Description
Description

Ron Lang

posted on 22/12/16 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
GBS Loom to Engine Harness 1
GBS Loom to Engine Harness 1

So this is the cable from the main GBS chassis loom which, I assume, originally had a connector on it. The previous owner had hardwired the home-made engine harness into this but now I have no idea what each of the cables is.

GBS Loom to Engine Harness 2
GBS Loom to Engine Harness 2

I still can't believe there are no colour coded diagrams for the GBS factory chassis looms and harnesses floating around on here. I'd happily pay for one right now!

Ron Lang

posted on 1/1/17 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE

So this is as far as I can get with planning the replacement loom. The previous builder had wired up the ECU all wrong so I can't trace back the cables. That means its almost impossible for me to identify what cables do what on each sensor. I know how all the components are connected but despite hours of googling am now stuck.

If anyone wants to have a go filling any more of this in I would be eternallly grateful. If not I'm not sure if I'll have to waste £300 on a factory harness.

Harness Planning 010117
Harness Planning 010117

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.