Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec to zf5 or zf6
Con81

posted on 30/12/16 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec to zf5 or zf6

Hi guys just planning my build at the moment and as there are hundreds of bmw's around for peanuts was going to use most of the running gear except for the engine which I already have a very nicely specced zetec turbo unit from another project.
My question is has anyone mated the zetec to the bmw box as I've searched all over the net and not had much luck!
I realise that the type 9,mt75,t5 or even rx8 boxes are a tried and tested method and I don't want to reinvent the wheel but if I am going to buy a bmw as a donor vehicle then I would want to use as many parts as possible!
Looking forward to this build as its my first kit car although I have been modifying and tinkering my whole life!
Many thanks.

Adamirish

posted on 31/12/16 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
I do know a lot of the drift boys have changed to using bmw boxes(cheaper to buy than equivilent jap gearboxes) mating them to jap engines using a conversion plate.

No doubt it can be done and it would be worth while too as the type 9 isn't renowned for being very strong. With "uprated" T9's being around the £1000 mark if someone could make a conversion plate for a BMW-zetec then I'm sure it would go down well.

I've seen plenty of videos of the 320d 5 speed box getting punished with 500+bhp and constant clutch kicking so I assume they are very strong!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Con81

posted on 31/12/16 at 04:44 AM Reply With Quote
This is exactly what I was thinking there are an abundance of them around for sensible money and I have access to mills and lathes so I think I'll just get on and do it maybe even sell a few conversion plates if there is a market for them!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.