Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mud flaps - how low can you go?
johnH20

posted on 31/12/16 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mud flaps - how low can you go?

My mud flaps on my front cycle wings terminate 90 mm from the ground but I still get a lot of spray and more importantly stone pecking on the rear arches. I am planning some extensions nearer the ground to help alleviate this. The question is how low. I am trying to imagine the critical manoeuvre that might result in damage. Reversing over a kerb or more realistically backing over a speed bump or ramp perhaps. I am thinking of going down to 40 mm clearance. How low are yours? Any advice appreciated.
Matt21

posted on 31/12/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your time.

I fitted some 3mm rubber (pretty heavy duty stuff) to mine and had it just barely off the road.
still got loads of stones flicking up, loads of water and the first time I went on track they ended up whipping up inside the archs and getting melted/ripped apart by the tyres.

Fit some stone guards to the rear arches

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

coozer

posted on 31/12/16 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I put some on from Halfords, made out of a sorry of hardish rubber, put then about 10mm off the ground...

Drove into a petrol station with the raised bits where they fill the tanks and bang! Pushed it up and wrecked the cycle wing...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

johnH20

posted on 31/12/16 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
That's what I am afraid of coozer!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 31/12/16 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother. More trouble than it's worth. Mine keep getting trapped under the wheel when reversing. Bends the wing brackets, which has made even more problems.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

johnemms

posted on 1/1/17 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
On way to IVA my thin rubber mud flaps went under the front arches ...
Smoke n stuff - scary -
I used 4mm Thick PVC - Very happy - 5 inch clearance - could go lower..
Still loads of spray and stones but helps a little..
Looking at better rear arch protection ..

Linky to eBay 2 x (Pair) Rally/Rallying 4mm Black Mudflap/Mud Flap/Mudflaps Material MSA Spec

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

johnH20

posted on 1/1/17 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Simple trigonometry ( if I can remember how ! ) suggests I need a mud flap extending to 10 mm from ground to provide full coverage of my rear arches ( actually rear vents ) with my ground clearance of 120 mm. Does not sound like this will be feasible. Might try a soft neoprene extension to what I have got but not that low. I have also been thinking of some kind of horizontal blade/ undertray extension behind he wheel. I seem to remember 1950s front engine GP cars use something like this in wet weather. Any one tried this idea?
gremlin1234

posted on 1/1/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
could you use something like
http://www.industrial-brush.com/ap_rv_trk.html
APPLICATION - RV & TRUCK SPRAY SHIELDS

Slimy38

posted on 1/1/17 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
Simple trigonometry ( if I can remember how ! ) suggests I need a mud flap extending to 10 mm from ground to provide full coverage of my rear arches ( actually rear vents ) with my ground clearance of 120 mm. Does not sound like this will be feasible. Might try a soft neoprene extension to what I have got but not that low. I have also been thinking of some kind of horizontal blade/ undertray extension behind he wheel. I seem to remember 1950s front engine GP cars use something like this in wet weather. Any one tried this idea?

It might be worse than that, I'm sure there will be some airflow magic and trickery behind the mudflaps that will pull the shrapnel on to tighter angles. Pebbles might be flicked back almost horizontal but still get pulled up into the air just after the mudflap.

Matt21

posted on 2/1/17 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Having them 10mm from the ground is all well and good when you are sat still. When you start moving you'll find they're 100mm above the ground and will be flapping all over the place at anything more than 5mph

I put flaps on mine for the same reason you're wanting them, and trust me, they're a complete waste. If you are lucky they will not damage anything else and wont stop any stones/water flicking up. Worst case they destroy your front wings.

Only way I can think is to add rigid extensions to the wings. But then you risk them being mashed if you go over a lump higher than 10mm

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

steve m

posted on 2/1/17 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I had fitted some mudflaps, many many years ago, to my Locost, and from memory, one of them only lasted a day still attached to the car, the reason I fitted them, was, that in the rain, I got wet, from the spray

However, my car has done about 20k since 1999 and I don't seem to have much damage to the rear aches, nor my polished aluminium side panels

So my question will have to be, what are you driving on ? Brighton beach ?

Now, I only drive in the dry, so dont get wet

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.