Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iva pass second time around at Kidderminster
Charlie C

posted on 11/1/17 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Iva pass second time around at Kidderminster

Hi all

My Haynes roadster passed the IVA test second time round yesterday, for 30mins I thought it had failed so when the inspector came and told after deliberation it passed I was in disbelief until I had the certificate in my hands.
The test was at Kidderminster I only live about 5 miles away so I drove it there having never driven it before I was quite nervous but it drove lovely and put a massive smile on my face.

An interesting point on the first test, the tester said the fog light can come on again after the main lighting are switched off and on again if the fog light switch is left on providing the donor car didn’t have that arrangement. This didn’t sound right to me because I could have many donor vehicals.
First time round the car failed on

1. Manufactures plate had too much information, I included the engine number.

2. Plate for brake/clutch reservoir need to be stronger, I used the OBP L shape bracket bolted to the bulk head. I added another aluminium plate to the bracket making an upside down U shape.

3. Front indicators to far inboard, I made and extension bracket from a piece of 50x25mm box section and cover it with some spare track rod arm gaiters.

4. Exhaust U clamp and cycle wing (right down on the horizontal support) needed a radius of 2.5mm

5. Emissions where to high, I took the car bake to Dale at Bailey Performance (top chap) and the fuel pressure regulator (adjustable) was to high so that was swapped for a new fixed lower pressure regulator. Also the lambda was block up so a new one was needed, Dale remapped the car and fixed my air/fuel gage. Dale also measured the bhp the engine is an mx5 1.6 rebuilt by Basset down engineering I’ve added piper cams, GSX600 throttle bodies and a Westfield exhaust manifold, the bhp at the engine was 143.4 bhp and 114.8bhp at the wheel. Not the most power car ever by a long shot but I’m more than happy.
6. The rolecage side bars obstructed the side mirror rear view I had Caterham scuttle mounted wing mirrors. I bought some Safety Device rack mount clamp for Expedition roll-cage these clamp round the 45mm CDS tube and have a M8 thread which I used to screw some new wing mirror into. I had to file the edges of the clamps to increase the radius. I can now put the mirror quite high and get a good rear view.

7. I under estimated the gross and axle 2 weight.

At the retest everything was ok until the emissions, the engine was from a 1993 mx5 and the examiner tested the car as an MX5 and run a CAT test, the car doesn’t have a CAT so there was no way of passing the test for the car as it is. So after the emissions test it was engine off sir and wait in the waiting room whilst I write up the Refusal notification. Whilst waiting I looked up CAT’s and the cost of remapping retest etc and was down in the dumps, after 30mins the examiner came out and told me they had been discussing the emissions test and as the car is Pre 1995 and although the engine is from an MX5 the car is not an MX5 so it passes. Needless to say, I was very happy for being given a pass.

When the examiner gave me the IVA certificate he mentioned the car drove really well around the test station and said something that surprised me, I must stress this was his opinion not mine, he said he see’s many Westfield’s and Caterham’s and he much prefers Caterham’s as they drive and feel much nicer than a Westfield and my car feels similar to a Caterham. To be honest I have little experience of either and I think they’re both great manufactures probably light years on from my humble Haynes roadster, but it was nice to have the complement anyway.

bonzoronnie

posted on 11/1/17 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations on your IVA pass.
madteg

posted on 11/1/17 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Congrats See you at Stoneleigh then
theduck

posted on 11/1/17 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Jake and Keith at Kidderminster are great lads. Congratulations on the pass.
Jamesc

posted on 11/1/17 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well done! Good time of year to pass.
adithorp

posted on 11/1/17 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ReMan

posted on 11/1/17 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. Good work, sounds well built and set up too. Interesting the pre 95 rule was forgot!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ianhurley20

posted on 11/1/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well done and congratulations at getting to this stage - only the car will never be really finished :-)

Toprivetguns

posted on 12/1/17 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations!

Although as the age old rule says, we need pictures.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Charlie C

posted on 31/5/17 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've at long last got round to taking some photo's

My roadster has been off the road for a couple of months whilst waiting for some new arches JK composite seat (well worth the money) and wheels and tyres. also its been on a diet like I should.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.