Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Cooling System
Benzine

posted on 4/1/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto Cooling System

After trawling the forum for answers i found so many different setups for plumbing i got a tad vexed. Here is a picture of my water pump, thermostat, radiator and coolant tank. How do these connect together. What confused me most is some diagrams showing coolant going to the carbs :S. Also some showed heater units which i won't be using. Can anyone explain what connects to what?

p.s. my thermostat has one connector only, i've seen 2 on a lot of diagrams

Thanks for any help

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 4/1/05 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
A goes to your radiator top hose D, B to the manifold with a T to your header tank C goes to your radiator bottom hose E, and the F is something I haven't got so blank it off. It looks like you'll have to make your own pipes. I used a Capri bottom hose and joined some straight pipe to it with 28mm copper plumbing fittings. Top hose was most of a Sierra bottom hose.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

timf

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
i think you might have mounted your rad 90 degrees out or even upside down
mookaloid

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I think you have your radiator upside down.

That way F goes to G, E goes to A, C goes to D, and B goes to H,

This is how I did mine and it works well.

With the radiator upside down you would get a massive airlock as there is no way of bleeding the air out (the highest the water would get would be at D, whereas the other way up F would allow the air out into the expansion bottle.

Also the thermostat would not get to see the hot water!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mark Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg
Rescued attachment mk_P1010020.jpg

Benzine

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
EDIT @ Peteff: When you say manifold so you mean the threaded hole inbetween the 2 carbs?

@ Tim, yes now you mention it i think it is 180 degrees out

[Edited on 4/1/05 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Also I blanked off the manifold outlet

Cheers

Mark

Benzine

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Right Makes sense now! Can i buy new hoses like the silicone ones in burton power or do i have to make my own using donor pipes and putting my own bends in?

EDIT: Just fitted rad the right way round Donor hoses to D and E fit fine to the engine so its just the smaller hoses i need now

mookaloid

posted on 4/1/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy what ever you want!

I made mine up using 90 degree bends and aluminium hoses from car builder solutions.

The thinner hoses were obtained locally/from donor

Cheers

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.