Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cooling pipes bursting frequently
ProjectSi

posted on 29/1/17 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
Cooling pipes bursting frequently

Since the build of my car I'm having some issues with one of the coolant hoses continuously bursting. This is on a MK3 Fiesta with a 1.8 Zetec but a lot of people on here seem to be running zetecs so see if anyone's had similar issues. The hose from the heater matrix to the rear of the thermostat housing keeps splitting in half and chucking coolant out, this is the third hose now it's popped. Could this be down to a faulty thermostat perhaps getting stuck? The car has had a brand new rad, waterpump, all the hoses were free from gunk and it's now been flushed with water and antifreeze at least 5-6 times when I've been working on the cooling system. All of the hoses I had fitted were used spares however, the one that's just broken though is a brand new one. I would like to get to the bottom of this before fitting a samco kit and popping one of those :/ Any ideas?
Oddified

posted on 29/1/17 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Not a Zetec expert. but first guess would be either an airlock or head gasket. I'd also be looking at the pressure cap, it should be releasing the coolant pressure long before bursting hoses.

Ian

mike2704

posted on 29/1/17 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, your problem could be caused by a partially blocked heater matrix would build up pressure.
britishtrident

posted on 29/1/17 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
None of the above -- only one part controls the pressure (& vacuum) in the cooling system is the pressure cap. On most modern cars the cap bleeds off excess pressure at 1.5 bar on 1960's cars 0.4 to 0.85 bar was more typical.

Splits due to excess pressure can be spotted becauseas they run horizontal along the main axis of tube -- exactly the same as a sausage splitting whe being fried.

[Edited on 29/1/17 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hkp57

posted on 29/1/17 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I agree the pressure cap should be releasing excess pressure which fixing should solve your hose problem.

The next question is why is it building such a high pressure, is the expansion tank over filled or positioned too low in relation to top of the water jacket?

What temperature is the engine at when it lets go? Is your sender and gauge correctly matched also.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

David Jenkins

posted on 29/1/17 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you could upload a diagram of your cooling circuit? Then maybe 'people who know these things' could see if there's a fundamental problem somewhere.

ProjectSi

posted on 29/1/17 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I've removed the thermostat and seems to be sticking closed when put in boiling water, car seems to be running pretty poor aswell in the mid range when giving it a boot fuel possibly because it's running colder than it should. Got a stat coming tomorrow so see if that sorts it.
rm0rgan

posted on 30/1/17 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectSi
I've removed the thermostat and seems to be sticking closed when put in boiling water, car seems to be running pretty poor aswell in the mid range when giving it a boot fuel possibly because it's running colder than it should. Got a stat coming tomorrow so see if that sorts it.

Colder? I thought it would be running hotter if anything with the thermostat blocked...less water circulating.

Sigs are uncool.

ProjectSi

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm0rgan
quote:
Originally posted by ProjectSi

Colder? I thought it would be running hotter if anything with the thermostat blocked...less water circulating.

No it's been removed so rather than a bit of coolant passing the stat to the radiator, all of it goes to the radiator, I'll be putting a new one in today though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.