Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Door Widths
Jeano

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Garage Door Widths

Looking at a house at the moment, i really wanted a double garage but its hard to find inside the M25 within budget. I have found a house with double length but single Width.

What width are your doors and what cars can you fit in ?

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

Myke 2463

posted on 30/1/17 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Garage approx 23 years old 2.2m wide.

Be Lucky Mike.

loggyboy

posted on 30/1/17 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Will vary on age and builder/manufacturer.
There are back fix and side fix options which will add to variations.

Mistral Motorsport

Bluemoon

posted on 30/1/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
No real standards, you need to find out what it is!!

Double length garages are not so bad, my MK had a few months.. being built in one..

Dan

nick205

posted on 30/1/17 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
We replaced an old sectional side track up n' over door a couple of years back. The door company we used fitted a Hormann up n' over door made to the right width and height. Although a single panel door it looks sectional from the outside so matches with other doors in our street. I'd imagine most suppliers/fitters will make a door to fit the aperture. Costs weren't high either otherwise ours wouldn't have been done.

http://www.hormann.co.uk/

posted on 30/1/17 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
I couldn't afford to build a detached double.

Had to go for semi detached....

which is good. One side is the dirty side and the other is absolutely filthy.

[Edited on 30/1/17 by 907]

Jeano

posted on 30/1/17 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, i dont need to buy a door.

I just want to know the garage width and what car fits inside ie. 2.2m 2005 Audi A4

Drives: MK Indy F20c with hairdryer

Irony

posted on 30/1/17 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a standard single garage in my house and its 8ft wide. You cannot practically get any tintop in it at all. My neighbour successfully parks in his. He has a Passat in a 10ft wide garage. He struggles to get in and out but he has a massive belly and is 75.

For a Tin top I reckon 10ft is the minimum practical width unless is a original mini. My kitcar is 6ft wide in a 8ft wide garage. Essentially very difficult to work on.

I am currently putting plans through for a bigger garage. Its going to be a meter wider and a meter longer! Yay.

nick205

posted on 30/1/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I have a standard single garage in my house and its 8ft wide. You cannot practically get any tintop in it at all. My neighbour successfully parks in his. He has a Passat in a 10ft wide garage. He struggles to get in and out but he has a massive belly and is 75.

For a Tin top I reckon 10ft is the minimum practical width unless is a original mini. My kitcar is 6ft wide in a 8ft wide garage. Essentially very difficult to work on.

I am currently putting plans through for a bigger garage. Its going to be a meter wider and a meter longer! Yay.

Yup - most single garages will allow a tin top to be driven in/out, but getting yourself in/out of the car in the garage is a different story. I recall hanging a small bit old carpet on the wall in my old garage to avoid door edges being trashed. It was only a diddy Peugeot 205 as well.

Nickp

posted on 30/1/17 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I restored my Lancia Montecarlo in a 9ft wide single garage which was seriously hard work and it wasn't the biggest car. I've since knocked the arse out of that single garage and have a 4m wide x 5m long working area out back of it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.