Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megajolt connection problem
Shooter63

posted on 31/1/17 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Megajolt connection problem

Can any of you guys tell me what I need to connect a megajolt up to a laptop, from what I've read you need some sort of weird adapter.

Shooter

theduck

posted on 31/1/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I assume megajolt uses a serial connector the same as megasquirt? If so, you want a rs232 to USB adaptor that uses the ftdi chipset. Lots on Amazon and similar for around £10-15
David Jenkins

posted on 31/1/17 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth looking on the megajolt website & forum about RS232 adaptors - here - many are just cheap rubbish that don't follow the rules.

I have an old-fashioned laptop that has a proper 9-pin RS232 port, and I'm going to keep that as long as I have the car!

chris

posted on 31/1/17 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
i just bought the one from trigger wheels
r1_pete

posted on 31/1/17 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
As above, get an ftdi chipset adapter from a reliable supplier and you'll be fine.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 1/2/17 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
It's worth looking on the megajolt website & forum about RS232 adaptors - here - many are just cheap rubbish that don't follow the rules.

I have an old-fashioned laptop that has a proper 9-pin RS232 port, and I'm going to keep that as long as I have the car!

^^ what he said - the problem comes from cheap nasty adaptors that don't offer the full functionality for the serial port

you can avoid the whole issue if you get any computer with a real serial port

an old laptop is ideal - I got an old toughbook from someone on here just as a garage laptop
the battery is dead but runs of the mains or a cheap 12v power adaptor and has serial and USB ports which makes it perfect - no need to worry about damaging an expensive one

or lots of desktops still have one internally - just needs one of these: linky
often the MB comes with the cable in the box (I'm sure I've got a few somewhere in my big pile of spares)

[Edited on 1/2/2017 by mcerd1]

-

Irony

posted on 1/2/17 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a old laptop from a car boot for a £5. Reset windows XP to factory settings and I only use it for Megajolt! Perfect!

I actually screwed up majorly whilst tuning, I was backing the car out of the driveway and the laptop cable caught the propshaft and it the resultant calamity flung the laptop across the garage/garden and it landed on grass about twenty foot away. The force chopped the 240v cable in two like butter. Laptop is however still going strong.

Shooter63

posted on 1/2/17 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads for all the replies, I think the 1st thing I will do is find an old laptop with the correct ports etc, just to make things easier

Shooter

mcerd1

posted on 2/2/17 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Laptops running XP or windows 2000 are reasonable bet, they should have USB ports and maybe even wi-fi to make transferring files onto them easy
but you can get PCMICA expansion cards with wi-fi / USB etc if need be... (assuming it will at least have a PCMICA slot)

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I actually screwed up majorly whilst tuning, I was backing the car out of the driveway and the laptop cable caught the propshaft and it the resultant calamity flung the laptop across the garage/garden and it landed on grass about twenty foot away. The force chopped the 240v cable in two like butter. Laptop is however still going strong.

I was thinking that on old laptop was a good idea in case it got dropped or a tool got dropped on it - I never thought about accidentally turning it into a missile

[Edited on 2/2/2017 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.