Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cold start flooding a little help please
legend

posted on 10/2/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
cold start flooding a little help please

hi having a spot of bother with flooding with my 2l zetec on twin 45s when cold is it 2 pump on throttle how far down? then part down and crank? or may need new plugs are these ok non platinum NGKTR5A-10?
benchmark51

posted on 10/2/17 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have a pinto 2L on dello 40's and I do 1 pump, crank and tickle the throttle when it fires. When all have kicked in it's fine, 1st time start all day. I changed from bosch to champion last week and it pulls much better. Summer time it starts very easy.
britishtrident

posted on 11/2/17 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by legend
hi having a spot of bother with flooding with my 2l zetec on twin 45s when cold is it 2 pump on throttle how far down? then part down and crank? or may need new plugs are these ok non platinum NGKTR5A-10?

Why on earth would you think changing to old style plugs would be of any benefit? The benefits of precious metal plugs are they require less KV and maintain their gap over very high milages and double platinum or double iridium plugs can go the life of the car without changing or re-gapping.

If it dosen't fire on the first or second attempt do a clear flood holding the throttle wide open as you would on any carb equiped engine. If the engine is flooding very easily you need to check the carb float levels and fuel pump presure also the idle jet size. Weber DCOE carbs are designed to work at quite low fuel pump pressures 4 psi is the absolute maxium 2.5 to 3.5 psi is ideal. I would also do a stress test on the coil to make sure the coil is outputing sufficent KV on each of the four towers and water mist spray test on the coil and plug leads.

[Edited on 11/2/17 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

perksy

posted on 11/2/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
On mine I pumped the accelerator pedal twice and then slowly pressed the pedal down for the third time whilst starting the car, Worked everytime..

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator fitted ?

Have you checked the floats in the carb's for damage and correct set height ?

[Edited on 11/2/17 by perksy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.