Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Removable Spare Wheel Carrier
Bigkiltedwarrior

posted on 15/2/17 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Removable Spare Wheel Carrier

Hi,

I have a Tiger Cat with 1" square chassis members including the spare wheel carrier. I am thinking about cutting the carrier off flush with the rear body work but want to be able to re-attach for touring should I so desire.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best square tube connectors to use for re-attaching the carrier?

I was thinking something similar to the below but was wondering what others have used.

http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/TZ1WB.jpg

Thanks in advance

Stewart

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/17 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt they'd last very long with a wheel & tyre bouncing on them... plastic isn't the best thing for a regular pounding. Perhaps you could find a bit of steel tube that's a snug sliding fit into the existing tube, weld it to the carrier side and use nuts and bolts to fix it to the chassis side? Maybe even a length of square-section steel bar, for maximum strength. The further you can get the inner tube or bar into the chassis side the stronger it would be.

You can always get plastic caps for the open tubes when you're not using the carrier.

nick205

posted on 15/2/17 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
As above I'd use either box section or square bar that fits inside the cut box section. Weld it into carrier and use nuts and bolts to secure it into the chassis when fitting it.

Mash

posted on 15/2/17 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I doubt they'd last very long with a wheel & tyre bouncing on them... plastic isn't the best thing for a regular pounding. Perhaps you could find a bit of steel tube that's a snug sliding fit into the existing tube, weld it to the carrier side and use nuts and bolts to fix it to the chassis side? Maybe even a length of square-section steel bar, for maximum strength. The further you can get the inner tube or bar into the chassis side the stronger it would be.

You can always get plastic caps for the open tubes when you're not using the carrier.

More or less what I did on my cateringvan. Although the tubing was round.

Cateringvans have a central mounting position for the wheel as well though, which accepts threaded securing bolt, and this takes most of the stress. I'm not sure I'd even want the wheel bouncing around on even steel tubes

David Jenkins

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
I'm not sure I'd even want the wheel bouncing around on even steel tubes

Fair comment...

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add a different idea to the thread;

I have a removable "top hat" that bolts through the aluminium and into the chassis.
It has a couple of studs in the outer part so the wheel mounts with a 10mm gap.

The wife says I should ditch the wheel and use the mounting holes to fit a wicker picnic basket.

Women Eh!

Paul G

spare wheel mount
spare wheel mount

Bluemoon

posted on 16/2/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

I have a removable "top hat" that bolts through the aluminium and into the chassis.

The wife says I should ditch the wheel and use the mounting holes to fit a wicker picnic basket.

Women Eh!

Paul G

spare wheel mount
spare wheel mount

Hi Paul,

Any details on how you made the top hat?

I guess cylinder with welded plates each end, or is there a support inside?

My Indy has the spare wheel carrier, uses round tube and pinch bolts to secure. I don't trust this arrangement and secure the wheel at the moment with straps around the roll bar and wheel carrier "just in case!!"... It's meant to be temporary fix but has been like it for a couple of years.. Your solution is much better..

Dan

[Edited on 16/2/17 by Bluemoon]

posted on 16/2/17 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have a cross ( + ) as part of the chassis that has 4 m8 threads in it.
As the fuel tank is mounted between the rear of the car and the dif the cross also gives a little protection for the tank.

The top hat wheel mount is top hat shape. Cut a disk, cut a hole in the disk, and you have a flange and a top.
Separate the two with a cylinder and you have the top hat shape.

Paul G

IRS rear
IRS rear

nick205

posted on 16/2/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Women Eh!

Paul G

spare wheel mount
spare wheel mount

Neat touch!

Picnic basket? Either stop and get a sandwich or tell her to put the picnic under her feat when sat in the car.

Come to think of it does she go in the car that much? My wife didn't enjoy going in my MK Indy too much and we never went for a picnic in it.

posted on 16/2/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Picnic basket? Either stop and get a sandwich or tell her to put the picnic under her feat when sat in the car.

Come to think of it does she go in the car that much? My wife didn't enjoy going in my MK Indy too much and we never went for a picnic in it.

She has been to a few shows, but complains that there's nothing for her to do.

I could fill a wicker basket with polish and polishing cloths and she could give it a going over while I look round.

I'll mention it to her.

nick205

posted on 16/2/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

She has been to a few shows, but complains that there's nothing for her to do.

I could fill a wicker basket with polish and polishing cloths and she could give it a going over while I look round.

I'll mention it to her.

I like your style...you may well get a slap for suggesting it, but hey it might give you more time to have a look round and arrive back to a damn shiny car.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.