Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto
Matt159888

posted on 15/2/17 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto

Right gurus I am looking at putting a 2.0 pinto in my cat to replace the tired 1.8 pinto. I have tight budget and already have zx 9 carbs. I was going to use these and put a fr32 Kent cam in it. Would you say this will work together and what sort of power would I see? Thanks in advance matt
jacko

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes zx9 are perfect for 2l pinto
its hard to say what power you will get but it will definitely be more then you have now
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matt159888

posted on 15/2/17 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ha thanks mate thought they would work together. I have a zetec I was going to fit but money is tight and the more I look into it the more it's going to cost. So I think a 2.0 pinto sensible with a cam. I think around thw 130 to 135 bhp seems to be realistic so just to find a motor and start work. Thanks mate
SCAR

posted on 15/2/17 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Carbs and a cam should help pep the pinto up a bit but you wont get much out of them without upping the compression ration and gas flowing the head. You might pick up a good pinto from someone upgrading to a Zetec. Look for the better injection head. With just the carbs and cam probably nearer 120bhp
I reckon 90% of pintos out there are at least 10 to 15 bhp below what gets claimed due to the long standing practice of engine builders quoting inflated figures.
I once had a pinto running twin forties with no other mods. It made less than standard. Changed "down" to a single twin choke carb and the power went up.

snapper

posted on 15/2/17 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Any Pinto plus an Injection head which is worth 10bhp with a Felpro 1mm gasket or a Rhienz 1.3mm gasket and an FR32 cam will work well.
That is the cheapest most simple way of getting more bhp out of a pinto.
If you could run to a 0.5 or 0.75mm skim your getting compression to somewhere near optimum for 95 octaine

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Matt159888

posted on 15/2/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds a.plan I could.go to a skim I think just keeping costs down. Was going for a zetec have a good engine but not a cheap conversion and kit car festering in garage need to get her out this summer. A 2.0 pinto I think with a cam, rebuilt on zx9 carbs should.be better than the 1.8 pinto in her amd it wasn't too shoddy with that. It's a road car not a track car so don't need to achieve silly numbers ;-)
overdriver

posted on 15/2/17 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
My Cat has a 2.0 litre block (not 205 and I don't know the origin of the head) with twin 45DCOEs, Piper 285 Ultimate Road cam and bog standard ignition. Rolling road results vary between 135 and 140+ bhp with a similar lbs/foot figure. Mine is also a road car and whilst not an absolute mega performer it's still quick enough not to cause me embarrassment on the outside lane at traffic lights!

Michael.

chris

posted on 15/2/17 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
i had a 2ltr pinto with kent fr33 cam zx9 carbs one of the best upgrades i did was fitting a accuspark ignition
Matt159888

posted on 16/2/17 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that mate I have seen them gets rid of the old point s system doesn't it? Did it run well with whole set up not gonna break the bank getting there for me the zetec fitment just getting silly money and it ain't getting the car out on the road lol
SCAR

posted on 16/2/17 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
In the process of doing a 2.0 blacktop zetec installation myself. Got a good engine for £80 however conversion is going to cost me just short of £3000 including
Exhaust,
Inlet,manifold
Carbs or TB's
Air filter
Sump,
Engine mounts,
Plumbing
Swirl pot
HP fuel pump
New cambelt and tensioner
Ecu
Clutch, flywheel and starter parts
Head gasket
looking for 165BHP

Perhaps I should have aimed a bit lower and gone with a tuned pinto

chris

posted on 16/2/17 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Converted a friend s car from pinto to zetec and in total it came to around £1300 so it can be done for a reasonable price
snapper

posted on 17/2/17 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I'll just add a couple of essential buys...
Vernier cam pulley to time in the cam
Some way of adjusting the ignition timing
Acuspark has a fixed number of curves you can switch
Megajolt is fully programmable 3D but needs a triggerwheel fitting to it and a VR sensor bracket

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 17/2/17 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt159888
That sounds a.plan I could.go to a skim I think just keeping costs down. Was going for a zetec have a good engine but not a cheap conversion and kit car festering in garage need to get her out this summer. A 2.0 pinto I think with a cam, rebuilt on zx9 carbs should.be better than the 1.8 pinto in her amd it wasn't too shoddy with that. It's a road car not a track car so don't need to achieve silly numbers ;-)

Have you actually done a cost comparison between the two options? I've done basic "man in pub, Friday night back of fag packet calculations", and came up with the following....

Standard Zetec conversion shouldn't cost the earth, especially considering you've already got suitable carbs. Assuming you've only got these, I'd suspect you'd need the following extras:
Zetec engine = £150 (local scrappy/eBay) ?
Gasket kit = £50 ?
Modified sump = £50 (standard cut /shut from a local welder friend or someone on here) ?
New engine mounts = £50 ?
Megajolt/Nodiz etc. & sensors = £300 (assuming bought new) ?
Exhaust manifold = £250 ?
Inlet manifold = £150 (DanST on here) ?
Clutch kit = £100
Estimated total = £1,100

With a Pinto setup like you're considering, I'd suspect you've got costs of about £100 for the engine, £200 for the cam, timing pulley £80, so at least £380 total. Plus time saved by not having to do all the work associated with different engines etc..

Cost difference of £720 between the two options. I understand this is not a massive number, but also it's still a significant additional cost. Can you potentially sell any of the left over parts from the previous Pinto install (inlet/carb, exhaust manifold), say for a nominal return?

I've excluded the cost of a rolling road setup, as this is something you'd probably consider doing with any engine change, to ensure it's running correctly. With standard figures around the 140-150bhp for a Zetec setup like this, and the potential to expand further with more ease in the future, is this the most viable option? Food for thought.

* PS - please don't think I'm a Pinto-hater, just saying to weigh up the pros & cons, plus costings, for each of the options available!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Matt159888

posted on 17/2/17 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate thanks for that. To be honest I'm coming up with the same mate. I have the set of zx9 carbs and I have a silver top zetec. I have done the cam belt and fitted the correct water pump to sort the direction out. I totally agree looking at the figures may as well go with the zetec. Bit easier to find etc and lighter and more powerful. The pinto is holding good money these days too a 205 block injection head not coming cheap. I think I'm better off doing the zetec. I have a shallow sump I bought of a guy on here but I have only water tested it. There isn't any baffles in the sump does they need these in them? I spoke to bogg bros ref the manifold and they will clean the carbs and set a basic jet to get it running as well. I think after looking for a good pinto without breaking the bank my options defiantly better on the zetec. Will start getting some bits next month and getting what I need. Going to keep it sensible and go for cheaper options like a drilled 1.8 zetec flywheel over a steel manufacturered one etc. Just to convince wife money well spend and I'll have a go ,-)
overdriver

posted on 17/2/17 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
One point to consider in Pinto to Zetec conversion is the necessary bodywork modifications as the inlet and exhaust are the other way round thus requiring new apertures (and filling existing ones) for intakes and collector pipes.

It does mean that the passenger in the Zetec engined car gets the earful of exhaust noise but, on the other hand, as the driver you can't see the flames spitting out of the tail pipe on overrun!

Michael.

Matt159888

posted on 17/2/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ha ah very true the flames were nice.on the pinto lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.