Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: leaky brake hose?
rodgling

posted on 20/2/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
leaky brake hose?

Just spotted this on a front brake hose:

There is a yellowish stain underneath the clear plastic outer coating. Is this indicative of a leak or just some random discolouration? Should I replace it?

[Edited on 20/2/17 by rodgling]

gremlin1234

posted on 20/2/17 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
if you look carefully, there are similar colours further down the pipe
but my question is
why does it appear to be in a section of fuel pipe?
(guess is as protection when it is mounted to something) but looks odd

edit: also note that to fit that fuel pipe around the braided hose, one end of it/them must have been removed/replace, so certainly check the hoses further

[Edited on 20/2/17 by gremlin1234]

Gre3D

posted on 20/2/17 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldn't worry about it too much. the inside is a teflon liner... i dont think that is going to leak, and if it would leak i dont think it would appear like that
SteveWalker

posted on 20/2/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
edit: also note that to fit that fuel pipe around the braided hose, one end of it/them must have been removed/replace, so certainly check the hoses further[Edited on 20/2/17 by gremlin1234]

That piece of fuel hose looks slit to me.

rodgling

posted on 20/2/17 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
edit: also note that to fit that fuel pipe around the braided hose, one end of it/them must have been removed/replace, so certainly check the hoses further[Edited on 20/2/17 by gremlin1234]

Exactly.

russbost

posted on 20/2/17 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like discolouration of the outer PVC sheath to me, I've seen similar b4 particularly on the clear coat as any stain will show up, rust is a common staining agent. I've never known a Teflon lined pipe to leak, but if it was then it would fill up the inside of the whole PVC sheath & either leak out of the ends where the crimps are, or would blow up & burst like a rubber hose would

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rodgling

posted on 20/2/17 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Looks like discolouration of the outer PVC sheath to me, I've seen similar b4 particularly on the clear coat as any stain will show up, rust is a common staining agent. I've never known a Teflon lined pipe to leak, but if it was then it would fill up the inside of the whole PVC sheath & either leak out of the ends where the crimps are, or would blow up & burst like a rubber hose would

Thanks, I think you are right.

Unfortunately it leaves me no closer to identifying the source of my leak (clues include a *very slight* sinking pedal and tiny (a few drops) puddles when parked up after a long drive... it ought to be easy to locate but strangely isn't.

russbost

posted on 21/2/17 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
1st clue is the location of the few drops, won't necessarily reveal the source of the leak, but gives a starting point to work back from

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gremlin1234

posted on 21/2/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:

Exactly.
ah, that will be why it has a cable tie too :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.