Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Up
Schrodinger

posted on 22/2/17 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
VW Up

A friend has a VW Up with 16k
miles on the clock and has just had to replace the clutch at a cost of £500.
Is there a problem with this car?

Keith
Aviemore

ash_hammond

posted on 22/2/17 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it needed a new clutch...

Previous/current owner abuse.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

nick205

posted on 22/2/17 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
16k miles seems very very low for the clutch to have gone. I'd imagine you'd have to seriously try and kill a clutch that fast - and probably do other damage in the process.

Petrol engine I'm guessing?

rusty nuts

posted on 22/2/17 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've replaced several badly worn clutches over the years , my belief is some drivers don't know how to use a clutch correctly. Ive lost count of the times I've seen the tips of the diaphragm fingers and thrust bearings fail due to the driver"riding " the clutch . Biggest cause is the driver sitting in traffic holding the car on the clutch. It maybe how they are taught to drive? I had one customer who was lucky to get 6 months out of a new clutch , probably 4000 miles, he even friction welded the thrust bearing to the clutch cover on his Austin Maxi.
r1_pete

posted on 22/2/17 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
You dont say how old the car is, or the type of driving, as said, its more likely to be driving style, riding and slipping the clutch will drastically shorten its life.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 22/2/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I've replaced several badly worn clutches over the years , my belief is some drivers don't know how to use a clutch correctly. Ive lost count of the times I've seen the tips of the diaphragm fingers and thrust bearings fail due to the driver"riding " the clutch . Biggest cause is the driver sitting in traffic holding the car on the clutch. It maybe how they are taught to drive? I had one customer who was lucky to get 6 months out of a new clutch , probably 4000 miles, he even friction welded the thrust bearing to the clutch cover on his Austin Maxi.
as I remember, the maxi was very strange for clutches, one of the few cars you could replace it without taking the engine or gearbox out.

rusty nuts

posted on 22/2/17 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
When the driver welded the thrust bearing to the cover I had to smash the cover to pieces to get at the clutch. The AA report said that the engine had siezed solid .
David Jenkins

posted on 22/2/17 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Biggest cause is the driver sitting in traffic holding the car on the clutch. It maybe how they are taught to drive?

Quite possibly - new drivers are taught all sorts of nonsense to meet the current test requirements. When I was taught to drive back in the bronze age, the clutch was used only when you were changing gear, when you stopped (and into neutral straight after) and when you pulled away again. I was only allowed to hold the car on a hill using the clutch for a couple of seconds, otherwise it was handbrake on and a proper hill start. My driving instructor would shout at me if I held it longer - probably worried about the fragile Mini clutch!

britishtrident

posted on 22/2/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bad driver habits. I had a customer who would wear out clutches every 3,000 miles as regular as clock work.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Andybarbet

posted on 22/2/17 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
My cars 18 years old, its a SEAT Cordoba, I've had it 11 years & no clutch change yet, its done 80k miles & there was 38k on it when I bought it.

I think you guys are right, they teach differently now days, i passed my test in 1990 but my dad taught me in my 1978 Mini 1000 to begin with. Taught me lots that little car.

My wife passed her test 12 years ago & used to ride the clutch all the time, when we moved in together & I started looking after her car, I gave her some re-training :-)

My son is learning & the instructor has told him when he changes gear it should take a minimum of 3 seconds ? I have no idea why but hey, it's not our clutch.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Schrodinger

posted on 22/2/17 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
The car was brand new and neither of the drivers had ever had to replace a clutch previously.
It seems that the Up has had some poor press regarding clutches and gearboxes

Keith
Aviemore

SJ

posted on 23/2/17 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Some cars can be weird. I got my mk4 Mondeo with 19k on the clock. The clutch started to slip a bit at 50k and as I've generally got a pretty good track record with clutch life I was surprised it was slipping so soon.

The car has now done almost 90k and the clutch is no worse.

Stu

02GF74

posted on 23/2/17 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
My cars 18 years old, its a SEAT Cordoba, I've had it 11 years & no clutch change yet, its done 80k miles & there was 38k on it when I bought it.

My daily driver is 23 years old this year and just turned past 140k this week, still on the same clutch, probably done 100k on it.

Friend took her brand new nissan xtrail on offroad trip following my land rover. Destroyed the clutch on that outing as sat a lot riding the clutch, i could smell it burning up but woukd she listen??!??

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.