Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse Gearbox
Neville Jones

posted on 5/1/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse Gearbox

Hiya
I'm a newbie whose been watching for some time. So time to show my face. im building a bec to book measurements and looking for a reverse box.

I see the eurotech mentioned. Does anyone know where these come from or who makes them? Any others out there available?

Cheers
Nev.

adamhay

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Agonised over this myself for weeks and after taking everything into consideration, I have just (today) ordered a Quaife reverse box. They've sold over 300 now and the early problems have been ironed out - or so they say.
As far as I can see, the only problem is they pi55 their oil out through the breather but this is easily solved by using a remote fluid reservoir - as is done with certain diffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to Hijack, but where abouts in Surrey are you Adam? A friend of mine is building a turbo busa for his Westie at the moment, he's only down in Clanfield, you might be able to share a few hints and tips if you havent spoken to him already (Bazzer from the BEC list).

cheers

Chris

[Edited on 5/1/05 by ChrisGamlin]

adamhay

posted on 5/1/05 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Chris: I'm in Camberley. I'd be interested to see how someone else is getting on - probably a bit better than me as I'm still in the early phases - although I have decided what I'm doing, what bits to use, and I've got/lined up most bits.

Bazzer you say . . . . .I don't think I've spoken to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnp0WDDW7xs

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/1/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'll PM you his email address, he's just in the process of rebuilding the engine to make things stronger, will hopefully be on the road (track) by late spring.
Im living near Bordon now so not far away, will maybe have to pop over and see how you're doing at some time.

Chris

andylancaster3000

posted on 5/1/05 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack this thread agian, Adam and Chris, you must be the only two people who live anywhere near me from what I can tell. I'm in Fleet, Hants. Nice to know there are people around here!

Are there any porblems with backlash with these reverse boxes. A friend of my fathers who has a Fury Fireblade initialy had a reverse box but complained that the excesive backlash caused it to knock forward or back heavily everytime you braked or acclerated, especially when it was being raced. We think this may have helped cause his prop to fail at lydden! So it was ditched in favor of a motor/gear drive on the prop flange.

Andy

[Edited on 5/1/05 by andylancaster3000]

phelpsa

posted on 5/1/05 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm quite close to you Andy (about 40miles away).

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 5/1/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Nova Racing Transmissions

This unit is used by Caterham and the Legends race series. It's very robust and race proven over a number of years.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Neville Jones

posted on 6/1/05 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks fopr the replies. Plenty to ponder.

Cheers,
Nev

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/1/05 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
Are there any porblems with backlash with these reverse boxes. A friend of my fathers who has a Fury Fireblade initialy had a reverse box but complained that the excesive backlash caused it to knock forward or back heavily everytime you braked or acclerated, especially when it was being raced. We think this may have helped cause his prop to fail at lydden! So it was ditched in favor of a motor/gear drive on the prop flange.

Andy

They do often tend to add a fair amount of drivetrain vibration and shunt when compared to without, a couple of my friends with Westfields have changed to straight-through props and have found a huge improvement although thats not to say everyone has the same experiences with reverse boxes. I wouldnt dream of putting one in mine though, put it that way

ned

posted on 6/1/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Andy,

Fleet is only about 20 mins from me and James and Trueblue who graces the newlands meets is from camberley (sp?)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

andylancaster3000

posted on 6/1/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, Guildford is pretty close, I always forget! Do you guildford guys often meet?

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.