Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec blacktop head
SCAR

posted on 3/3/17 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
zetec blacktop head

Doing a few mods to a 2.0 blacktop head, mainly just having a go at cleaning up the ports.
On other heads I've worked on i.e. pinto and xflow I've always taken care to match the port shapes to both the exhaust and inlet manifolds.
On the blacktop there's a massive difference in the exhaust port shape and the standard gasket (and my new tubular exhaust manifold). The gasket is round and the port exit oval.
I have noticed that a lot of exhaust flange kits and performance manifolds are also round. So is the huge step in the (oval) exhaust port shape to the (round) exhaust manifold unavoidable and ok?

Gre3D

posted on 4/3/17 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
when i was doing my ST170 a while ago a local tuner advised me to leave the ports D-shaped so not to lose too much air velocity in the head. i haven't had it on the dyno yet so i can't tell if this was a good thing to do. but looking at the casting i think the exhaust port walls are very thin. and i don't think you'd be succesfull in taking away the D-shape without scrapping the head?
SCAR

posted on 4/3/17 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think your tuners comments regarding the air velocity would be relevant to the inlet side only.
The exhaust may have to be left as a mismatch with the manifold as it would require a huge amount of material to be removed.
I thought of welding a tapered insert inside the manifold pipes to get rid of the step.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.