Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaking Brake Reservoirs
oliwb

posted on 3/3/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Leaking Brake Reservoirs

So, I've fitted a new floor mounted pedalbox (from Compbrake) and the supplied plastic remote reservoirs are proving a nightmare. I've tried tightening (over tightening maybe) and under-tightening them but they always appear to leak as per below:

Description
Description

Has anybody got experience of how to get these things to seal properly? I'm wondering about aralditing the brass bit into the bottom of the plastic reservoir or installing an O-ring under the nut on the inside or something. I'm worried, though, that the brake fluid will eat away at whatever I do and they'll start to leak again.

Any suggestions gladly received.....

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 3/3/17 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm worried, though, that the brake fluid will eat away at whatever I do and they'll start to leak again.

If you chose the right material for the o-ring, it won't. EPDM is the brake fluid compatible o-ring material, so if you think an o-ring can do the job, get an EPDM o-ring.

Teflon is also brake fluid resistant. Have you thought about Tefelon tape around the tread of the fitting in the reservoir?

Gre3D

posted on 4/3/17 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
i'd use some liquid locktite thread sealant, but might see you damage the reservoirs should you need to remove them one day
steve m

posted on 4/3/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem with mine, and they look the same as yours

In the end, I did them up FT (f*****g tight) to within an inch of there lives in not breaking, but using the redish brown fibre tap washers between the plastic and metal connectors

seems to of worked, as they don't leak now

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

oliwb

posted on 6/3/17 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys. I have on my desk a 6" x 6" square of EPDM rubber, so I'll try and cut out some washers and use that along with some PTFE tape. Hopefully that'll fix it. I guess the ultimate solution is to fit the Aluminium reservoirs but there is one hell of a big difference in price!

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.