Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: FMEA - Has anyone used this tool ?
Toprivetguns

posted on 3/3/17 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
FMEA - Has anyone used this tool ?

I have recently begun a new job role in manufacturing engineering and one of my tools I'm learning to use is an FMEA.

Fault mode and effects analysis. Its basically used to identify component failures and what effect it will have on your operations e.g. a seal failing on a brake system.

I'm starting one this weekend with my BEC rectifier. Even though I've cured the problem, It took me a long time to reach this point due to not following any specific troubleshooting guide and throwing money at the wrong problem.

Have a look at Wikipedia and the examples they give. It maybe helpful for those of you scratching your heads with a recurring problem that's costing you money and reliability.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

bi22le

posted on 3/3/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I work for a global Japanese company and speak PFMEA and DFMEA everyday.

If your a manufacturing engineer you will also be familiar with sigma 6?

There are many other tools my team use but I am a design engineer not manufacturing

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

peter030371

posted on 3/3/17 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I use DFMEA and then PFMEA on some, mainly automotive, jobs. They are good at making you realise how risky something is and priorities risks. However you can still miss things if you don't think of them in the first place. Using them as a team is great but on your own not so.
wylliezx9r

posted on 3/3/17 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
An 8d is a real good problem solving tool too.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

Tazzzzman1

posted on 4/3/17 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any assistance on this let me know. I use these tools daily (major part of my job as a supplier development manager in automotive) I have written and trained employees both internally and at suppliers on FMEA, Problem solving techniques etc.
Human nature is to jump to conclusions and think they have solved the problem but in fact have only treated a symptom. So problem will occur again. Finding the root cause of any problem can follow the same logical approach and these tools are a big step in the right direction

Good luck

Tazzzzman1

posted on 4/3/17 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
An 8d is a real good problem solving tool too.

Sorry to correct you bud but an 8D is just the reporting format, not a problem solving tool. It can/ should be used as part of problem solving to report each logical stage. However the general tools for problem solving within an 8D are : 5 Whys, Is-Is not, Ishikawa/ Fish bone, Run the rabbit etc. There are many others which different companies also use but these are some of the more common ones...

FMEA is basically looking at sods law. What can go wrong will. Doing a risk assessment against each and then putting in actions to reduce risks. A good way of preventing issues occuring in the first place.

Wow I'm entering training mode again lol

Dingz

posted on 4/3/17 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Started using that in the 80s supplying parts to Ford. it is a very good method but you can get distracted and get lost in dead ends.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.