Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Phone choice
Greenie

posted on 4/3/17 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Phone choice

Just throwing this out there, changing my phone, what do I go for, knowing that I have had iPhones for the past decade, do I go for the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy. People are telling me to dump the iPhone and go for far better android Samsung.

What you guys think?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt5964

posted on 4/3/17 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have to have android at work and it sucks (LG G5) previously has Samsung galaxy G5 G5 and g6 all as bad as each other.

Have a iPhone 6 personal that I'm about to change, won't be touching android

I have a basic principle with phones if you are able to take the battery out it's because there is a very likely possibility you will need to take it out often as it will crash and hang as mine does all the time

However the iPhone has never crashed or hung or needed to be reset...and I've had several versions none need to be reset.. tells me all I need to know.

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

bi22le

posted on 4/3/17 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think there are two types of people in this world. Apple fans and non apple fans. I think after 10 years of being an iphone user you week find it tough going to use an android for the 1st few weeks. After a while you will get used to it.

Ultimately, if you like android or not will depend on which type of person you are.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Banana

posted on 4/3/17 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot see any reason to get Apple. Android is so much more versatile and cheaper.
I went Sim only with a Moto 3 from Amazon - does everything perfectly with an amazing screen, for about £100.

coozer

posted on 4/3/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a Moto G4 cheapo from argos.

Does everything I need and zooms along with 4g signal.

All depends what you want from your phone?

Ive got a 4g lte samgsung tablet as well and between the two cant imagine what else Id get from a multi hundred ££ thing....

3 sims from Bt cost me £25 a month, Thats my two and wor lasses Moto g3...

Bloke at work spends £38 a month for his (tatty looking) Iphone... Just dont get it...

[Edited on 4/3/17 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Smoking Frog

posted on 4/3/17 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
If your the kind of person that like to impress some people buy Apple if your not bothered buy Samsung. Both are good phones. Both have good and bad points. The best phone for the money is probably neither.
SJ

posted on 4/3/17 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've had iPhones up to 4s. Good small phone but until they make days last 12 hours it is next to useless. iPhone 3 was much better.

I now have a Galaxy S5 which has similarly crap battery life but as I have 3 spare batteries, this isn't a problem.

Android is more compatible with 3rd party Bluetooth stuff. Apple works flawlessly but only with other Apple stuff, so if you have the whole Apple ecosystem buy an iPhone, otherwise go android.

Stu

Irony

posted on 4/3/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have worked with Apple desktops for 20 years and I can't praise them enough. I wouldnt touch iPhone with 10ft barge pole. iOS is like having a mini dictator in your pocket, no you can't do this, no you can't do that. I plug my android handset into a PC or Mac. Copy over a bunch of files and I am good to go. iOS is to restrictive for a geek like me.
David Jenkins

posted on 4/3/17 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I think that Apple products can be excellent - but I'm not ready to pay their high price. There's not enough 'added value' for me to justify the extra expense. Both my phone and tablet are Google Nexus devices, and they have served me well. Sadly I don't think that Google are going to bring out any more Nexus devices but, if they do, they'll be high-end with prices to match.

sdh2903

posted on 4/3/17 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Apple do make nice things. However I hate iTunes with a passion. Therefore have been Samsung galaxy s4/5/6/7 user for the past few years.

Drag and drop all my pics, music and movies in seconds. ITunes takes hours to do anything. The quality of the newer iphones ain't all that either. The Mrs is an avid appleite and her 6 and 7 have been back to Apple loads and she's starting to think about crossing to the dark side.

mark chandler

posted on 4/3/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
My other half moved away from an iPhone, hates android so contract is up shortly so will return.

I've had an iPhone for the last 5 years, it just works... Battery life is not great @ 48 hours provided you close off apps after use, doing something with the GPS kills it but I guess that's the same for android as well?

We had a choice at work, Apple or high end android, most people with android get frustrated after having an iPhone, I am biased tapping away on my iPad that just works with the phone.

Spotify for music, forget iTunes

[Edited on 4/3/17 by mark chandler]

loggyboy

posted on 4/3/17 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
waaaaaay before itunes or i phones ot ipads were even heard of, i hated apple, simply due to quicktime. It was like a virus... wanting to take over ur pc... 'oh u dont want to do it that way? Tough.'
Then when the iphone came out i was initially sceptical. I tried other peoples, but back in those days it just reinforced my view that apple had this view there was only 1 way to do things.... there way.
Over the years I used my wifes ipods/phones/pads and they did perform beautifully... fast, smooth and reliable. But, plug it into a pc and it was back to the old story... you MUST have itunes, u cant just move/copy files. Now i 'think' that has been changed in recent years.
I have been using the last 3 generations of mini Galaxy (I hate huge phones) but I'm sadly stuck on the S5 as samsung have deserted the flag ship mini range. In a moment of weakness i nearly plumped for a iPhone SE the other month as it ticks the size and spec boxes. But 2mins on an iphone was enough to make me wait for someone to bring out a decent mini flagship smart phone. I really hope the SE will encourage Samsung to pull their finger out.

In short stick with what you know, which ever it is you will most likely dislike the alternative if you change.

Mistral Motorsport

Shooter63

posted on 5/3/17 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Nokia 3310, £50.00 and spend the money you save on something more interesting.

Shooter

Matt21

posted on 5/3/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an iphone, but it annoyed me so much that you can't simply copy a photo from it to you're laptop!

I got a sony xperia z5 and it's a million times better. The iphone feels like a cheap crappy toy in comparison.
And the latest iphone big selling point was it being waterproof! something that sony and samsung had been doing for years before! And the headphones?!

I'm toying with either an xperia xz or samsung s7.

If you're used to iphones you'll find android phones tricky for a few weeks. This is because the iphone is a simple to use device that even toddlers can operate. Androids are aimed at grownups

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

Irony

posted on 6/3/17 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
If you're used to iphones you'll find android phones tricky for a few weeks. This is because the iphone is a simple to use device that even toddlers can operate. Androids are aimed at grownups

I agree. Having said that if you are a casual phone user i.e Facebook, calls messages etc then iPhones are great. If your a power user then Android.

SJ

posted on 6/3/17 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
The other thing to bear in mind with iPhones is they have a hidden level of network configuration that you can't access. For example, my iPhone 4s which was locked to Vodafone wouldn't allow mobile hotspot even when TalkTalk [who use Vodafone] allowed it. No amount of support calls to Apple or the carrier could get to the bottom of why this was.

With the same sim in an android phone mobile hotspot worked fine.

nick205

posted on 6/3/17 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Never had an iPhone and likely never will either. SWMBO had an iPhone 4 and did nothing but moan about it. I went HTC/Android and now Samsung/Android. The phones and Android work fine for me. That said I do like my iPad, but TBH work paid for it - I wouldn't have paid for it myself!

Schrodinger

posted on 7/3/17 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Lumia phone, Viglen tablet and Asus laptop, all have Windows 10 and work well together when needed and the only down side is the number of apps available for windows.

Keith
Aviemore

Schrodinger

posted on 7/3/17 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Lumia phone, Viglen tablet and Asus laptop, all have Windows 10 and work well together when needed and the only down side is the number of apps available for windows.

Keith
Aviemore

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.