Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend Brake Pads
Barksavon

posted on 5/3/17 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend Brake Pads

I'm planning a few track days this year and want to improve the braking on my Tiger Avon. Ive only done one other track day and the brakes started to fade off a bit after a few laps,Its fitted with cortina calipers and bog standard pads, i'm looking at EBC Green Stuff pads in the ame calipers... am i looking in the right direction??
Thanks
Ian

SJ

posted on 5/3/17 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have Standard Sierra brakes with EBC Yellow stuff and they are great. Absolutely no issues with fade on track days, though I have vented discs so that may come into play.
mark chandler

posted on 5/3/17 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mintex 1144, I have done plenty of track days on mine, no need to warm up, despite my best efforts they have never faded.

[Edited on 5/3/17 by mark chandler]

Myke 2463

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Another for mintex 1144

Be Lucky Mike.

matt5964

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I have Standard Sierra brakes with EBC Yellow stuff and they are great. Absolutely no issues with fade on track days, though I have vented discs so that may come into play.

I have the same done loads of track days with no issues or fadeing

Very good for n the road as well

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

x_flow57

posted on 5/3/17 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the 1144.

I have used them in a Locost on the road, on trackdays & racing.

I tried the EBC once, on track, & in comparison they were rubbish.

Nick

phelpsa

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
1144s for overall performance. Can be a bit noisy though if that's important to you.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was about to say the same thing: I have Mintex 1144's on my road Locost, and they could really squeal sometimes. Good for shifting pedestrians who are walking in the road, as they only squealed at low speeds - sounded like I'd just charged up behind them and stamped on the brakes!

I actually fitted them some time ago but went back to generic pads because I couldn't stand the noise. Eventually refitted them using the steel shims that came with the generic pads, instead of the sticky rubber backing sheet originally supplied by Mintex - and the noise almost completely went away.

They do stop well though, with little sign of fading (although I don't give them a hard time on the road). What I do like is the strong initial bite, which is much better than I experienced with the generic pads (I had to stomp the pedal a bit to get the old pads working properly).

Slimy38

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've tried EBC compounds a few times, albeit on heavier cars. I never seemed to agree with them. I've cooked them a few times, glazed one set, one set wore through in 5000 miles.

Mintex would get my vote, although admittedly that's only from reading hundreds of recommendations for them rather than trying them myself. I don't currently own a car that's worthy of £100 worth of pads!!

40inches

posted on 5/3/17 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mintex 1144. Cheaper than EBC and much better. The EBC didn't perform any better than OEM Mintex
loggyboy

posted on 5/3/17 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
What bogo standard pads are you using?
Before spending big money on track/race orientated stuff, make sure you use quality branded discs and pads. Just oe mintex or brembo etc. Bed them in well and you might fair better - if your using cheapo un branded stuff.

[Edited on 5-3-17 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

x_flow57

posted on 6/3/17 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
No, even Mintex std pads won't stand up to the abuse they'll get on a trackday.

Get the proper thing & don't waist your valuable track time waiting for your brakes to cool or even worse loosing them as you approach that 90° corner with no run off.

& just to add 1144s for Cortina calipers are £50-£60 a set, not a lot for piece of mind.

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
What bogo standard pads are you using?
Before spending big money on track/race orientated stuff, make sure you use quality branded discs and pads. Just oe mintex or brembo etc. Bed them in well and you might fair better - if your using cheapo un branded stuff.

[Edited on 5-3-17 by loggyboy]

loggyboy

posted on 6/3/17 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57
No, even Mintex std pads won't stand up to the abuse they'll get on a trackday.

Get the proper thing & don't waist your valuable track time waiting for your brakes to cool or even worse loosing them as you approach that 90° corner with no run off.

& just to add 1144s for Cortina calipers are £50-£60 a set, not a lot for piece of mind.

I hear this a lot on the Clio forum and in my experience it just isnt the case.

Mistral Motorsport

mcerd1

posted on 6/3/17 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I've tried EBC compounds a few times, albeit on heavier cars. I never seemed to agree with them. I've cooked them a few times, glazed one set, one set wore through in 5000 miles.

I tried EBC greens on a 760kg pug 106 - they were totally cooked in about 6000 miles - despite only being a 45hp car

I got a set lying in the garage for the dax that I might use at the SVA as the 'bed-in coating' did seem to work (they do bed in really quick), but it'll probably get a set of mintex pads at the end of the day...

-

aardvark101

posted on 5/4/17 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to put in a vote for Ferrodo DS2500

I have used Mintex 1144 but as pointed out they squeel like a stuck pig until really hot which never happened
on the road, so chucked in the bin.

Never personally used EBC pads, but all the feed back ive heard is not great (good for motorcycles strangely tho )

I use the Ferrodo 's with Austin Princess 4 pots and have absolute confidence in them, they are also completely silent,

they aren't cheap when compared to the Mintex (120 Vs 50 quid ish) but hey, you cant skimp when it comes to stopping

cheers Paul

40inches

posted on 6/4/17 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aardvark101
Im going to put in a vote for Ferrodo DS2500

I have used Mintex 1144 but as pointed out they squeel like a stuck pig until really hot which never happened
on the road, so chucked in the bin.

Never personally used EBC pads, but all the feed back ive heard is not great (good for motorcycles strangely tho )

I use the Ferrodo 's with Austin Princess 4 pots and have absolute confidence in them, they are also completely silent,

they aren't cheap when compared to the Mintex (120 Vs 50 quid ish) but hey, you cant skimp when it comes to stopping

cheers Paul

Never had the squealing problem! However the pads came with anti squeal stuck on the back. A new addition following complaints?

rodgling

posted on 6/4/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I've used 1144s on a 7, they were pretty good on track. Also tried 1155s but I think I couldn't get them hot enough, didn't like them at all. Currently using Hawk DTC-30 which seemed maybe a little bit sharper in initial bite, so I'm going to stick with these over the 1144s for now.

I've also used DS2500 on a Boxster, which were good both on track and on the road.

IMO 1144s are a decent track pad which lots of people find good on a 7, so I would give that a try and see how you go.

Barksavon

posted on 6/4/17 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
My car is only going to be used for the odd track day, its sorn'd at present with no plans to put it back on the road in the foreseeable future, i'm sure other people have cars they just use for track days, how do you go about bedding a set of pads in prior to hurling the car round a track...?
DJT

posted on 6/4/17 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I've EBC Green Stuff on my Avon. Generally they work well, including on track for maybe 5 or so hard laps. However, it is my solid front discs that overheat before my pads give out. Are you running vented front discs?

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

Barksavon

posted on 6/4/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
solid front discs on my Avon
Gre3D

posted on 6/4/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
i've been running EBC yellowstuff on all my cars and i can't say i had any problems with them. i had ferodo ds2500 on my ford puma and they fell appart when i swapped them out for a bigger brake kit, they were about 50% worn, had seen some street abuse and 1lap on the nurburgring. so not that extreme.

i'm not going to try anything else from EBC then their yellowstuff. we had them on a friends bmw e30 325IX which is a pretty heavy car, and they lasted a whole hour on zolder with no problem

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

rodgling

posted on 7/4/17 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJT
However, it is my solid front discs that overheat before my pads give out.

Seems unlikely, discs are just lumps of metal... they don't really overheat. Vented discs will stay cooler, which helps keep your pads cooler, but it's not really the temperature of the discs themselves that matters.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.