Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alex's Mx-5 Build
subjated

posted on 11/3/17 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Alex's Mx-5 Build

Hi All, Well after months of deliberating and research, ive finally started! and the MX5 donor is on my drive, thought id start a bit of a build thread, ill update as and when....

Started with the build table last weekend, (underestimated how low my garage ceiling was though so its a bit tall!)

Overall im pretty happy with my 1st days build!
any comments or things that i should be aware of before i commit to making a mistake at this stage will be much appreciated!

PS try not to get too jealous of my ultra manly welding helmet!

coozer

posted on 11/3/17 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Good for the first day fella.. Some times it takes ages just make the front bit there!

Keep the pics coming!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

subjated

posted on 11/3/17 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
to be fair thats where a lot of the time went, prob took me two hours just that, fiddly little bugger!

subjated

posted on 12/3/17 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Only had about four hours spare today, and spent one of them cutting out a few welds as i was unhappy. seems that the front frame was twisted pushing other things out, i still think that the 75mm dimension is actually around 72mm but im hoping that wont cause me too many issues later on.
anyway progress so far.....

metel matt

posted on 13/3/17 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Nice to see another Haynes roadster being built.

Welcome aboard and have fun building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcPoQVunzvo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124541083@N02/

subjated

posted on 20/3/17 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Welcome aboard and have fun building.

Certainly am so far mate thank you!

not had loads of time on the chassis this week as ive spent a fair bit of time stripping the donor...

its takes an age to label everything! im damn positive it would take a lot longer later if i didn't though! im hoping the donor will be relived of its engine and gearbox and other usable bits this weekend.

not had too much time on the chassis this week but had a few evenings in and got the seat back in and cross bracing done, so heres where im at so far...

i plan to tack in the transmission tunnel next, then fully weld the chassis except the tunnel and (any other bits i may have to move later), then move the whole thing forward and start on the diff housing etc

subjated

posted on 26/3/17 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
well, no chassis progress this week, which is a bit of a bummer but i have made 1st use of the machinery at work to make some diff mounts the suspension brackets and a steering rack mount......

the rest of my time has been spent stripping the donor this weekend.....

the last photo being how it sits on the drive at the minute (the Mrs not happy with the oil stains on thogh! so ill be scrubbing that at some point)
looks a little bit daunting seeing it all in bits and wondering how im meant to make a car out of it, but hopefully ill get there, can see that damn wiring loom giving me the biggest headache ive had since i married my ex wife!

Gre3D

posted on 26/3/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
you'll get there! chassis is looking good allready! keep it up

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

subjated

posted on 1/4/17 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gre3D
you'll get there! chassis is looking good allready! keep it up

cheers mate, im certainly trying!

well, bit of an update, me being the clumsy begger that i am have managed to fracture my ankle playing badmington, so that may hinder progress a bit

any way i emailed the DVLA the other week and now have a chassis number..

no chassis progress again but i have managed to get the donor apart and in my garage..

though as you can see ive pretty much taken up all available chassis work room so any help or advice as to how i can continue to work in this cramped space would help!

SteveWallace

posted on 2/4/17 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
That's looking good and you've made a lot of progress in a short time. Nice to see a new build thread underway.

As regards space, why don't you put some wheels on the pallet that you have the engine and gearbox on, that way you can just push it out of the garage when you want to work on the chassis.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

subjated

posted on 2/4/17 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
That's looking good and you've made a lot of progress in a short time. Nice to see a new build thread underway.

cheers mate, trying to keep at it, even its only a little bit here and there

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
As regards space, why don't you put some wheels on the pallet that you have the engine and gearbox on, that way you can just push it out of the garage when you want to work on the chassis.

and thats a great idea, think ive got some spare castors about, cant believe i didnt think of that since thats exactly what i did with the build table!

subjated

posted on 2/5/17 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
well been a while since my last update :/ not overly much done unfortunately due to a dodgy ankle, work and other commitments, but hopefully have a bit more time now, but i did manage to finish the tranny tunnel.....

i did manage to find time to visit stoneleigh on Sunday so managed to pick up a bargain steering rack and clamps and a set of protech shocks, but i have a question about those ill start a new post for shortly so any advice on that much appreciated!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.