Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Have you ever tried to fix a car over the phone
ditchlewis

posted on 7/4/17 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ever tried to fix a car over the phone

I sold my indy to my son (he is in the army) who keeps it in my garage. only when I completed a cambelt change did I realize he had taken all the keys with him so I couldn't prep the car for him.

I arranged for him to come over today from his London base to my house (in Ipswich) so he could take the car for an MOT at a mates garage.

I work in Brentwood 50 miles from the car and well he turns up at my house late with a mate and cant get the car started.

I get a phone call "car wont start what's the problem" (they are both novices) so I talk him through all the fuel system, the ignition system and checking that all the timing is correct. in the end fuel ok, spark ok just cant work out whats wrong. all this has taken 4 hours now.

get a call with them saying with the last turn of the key before they gave up and rolled it back into the garage it fired and they were cheering like mad men (must be a battle cry)......

this now makes all four son's who have phoned me at work asking me to fix their, scooter, bike or car over the phone.

this is getting too stressful for me and I think I will change my phone number.

Ditch

[Edited on 7/4/17 by ditchlewis]

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/17 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I get the same but with computers.... I've now set up all my relatives PC's with Teamviewer, and I just ask for a passcode to log in directly!
ditchlewis

posted on 7/4/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
wish I could do that but with old carbs and dizzy it's not even if I can get them to plug a laptop into the car and access it that way.

it was a good teaching platform to show new kids how to fix the basics lol.

ditch

rusty nuts

posted on 7/4/17 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've had people ringing me asking to diagnose a noise over the phone , once at trackside at Donnington, couldn't hear a thing .
bi22le

posted on 7/4/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Kind of related. I once fixed my brothers motorbike (I was pillion) with just scissors and selotape!

It was an electrical fault with the immobaliser. I managed to get side panel off, diagnose the fault, cut out the immobaliser and secure it all.

It only took about half hour. The corner shop owner and friends were mega impressed when they found out what I was doing with there "tools"!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.