Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA/ Donor question
Julian B

posted on 17/4/17 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
IVA/ Donor question

Hi all

Im just about to embark on a new build but i have a couple of questions regarding the donor

I want to use the MX5 but i want to use a lexus engine and there is a good chance it may end up with a BMW gearbox

If i build from this bag of bits will i end up with a Q plate if so how can i avoid this

Thanks for reading

loggyboy

posted on 17/4/17 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Just to clarify, IVA is not registration, they are 2 separate things.
IVA will only care about engine age (for emissions) and not the source.
For registration, you will need 2 major components from a donor, these dont have to be engine and gearbox, they are just the most common.
You need 2 of the following.
Suspension
Engine
Transmission
Axle(s)
Steering Assembly

Its also unlikely to be physically inspected by dvla as they shut all the local offices so you can always be 'inventive' with your declaration of where the parts are from.

Mistral Motorsport

StrikerChris

posted on 17/4/17 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine you'd struggle to get an age related plate unless you built it from the mx5,registered it then did an engine change.But a Q plate isn't really an issue on kitcars anyway,and I can't remember the last time I saw a stolen recovered saloon or ex army landrover on a Q either.
A more recently registered Q plate is probably,to me atleast more saleable in the kitcar world now than a pack of lies re-chassis dutton or something!

Chris

[Edited on 17/4/17 by StrikerChris]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 17/4/17 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If i build from this bag of bits will i end up with a Q plate...
that is what Q reg is (Vehicle of uncertain age), but for kit cars there is nothing wrong with Q reg

[Edited on 17/4/17 by gremlin1234]

ste

posted on 18/4/17 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
it is also possible to "fit" the lexus engine into the mx5 donor by completing the change of details section of the v5 before submitting it for registration. you will then have a v5 with the correct engine number coming from the donor. Whether you actually fit it in the mx5, no one will ever know!
ste

posted on 18/4/17 at 01:08 AM Reply With Quote
bearing in mind, the rules say the major components must come from the same donor, nothing says they have to be from the same manufacturer, or that the donor has to be as it left the factory.
Julian B

posted on 18/4/17 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys

Thats pretty much as i thought . I think i will register the enginge change to the donor and not worry too mucjh about the gearbox

Thanks again and sorry if i infered that the Q plate issue was an issue at all

Cheers

loggyboy

posted on 18/4/17 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Qs have pros and cons, there is a stigma to some that they used on stolen recovered, but that's not going to be held by anyone looking to buy a kit car.
They also cant have personal plates assigned.
Pros are a slightly easier registration and an easier MoT, specifically on emissions, but IVA requires emissions to suit the engine age so is only a bonus post IVA.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.