Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW T2 van engine
Alez

posted on 28/4/17 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
VW T2 van engine

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a VW T2 (bay window) camper van and I've spotted one which engine is an "air-cooled 2.0 twin-choke carb". This is it:

I'd like to know whether it has two features that some do have according to Wikipedia:

1) Hydraulic valve lifters.

2) Electronic ignition. I see a distributor but I don't know if that implies it's got points inside or it may house one of these early electronic iginition systems that connect to the engine via a shaft just like the distributor.

I've asked the seller, but she knows neither. I've suggested she finds out from the garage that does the servicing for her.

What do you think? Do you know if the 2.0 engines in particular (which appeared later on the history of the model) tend to have any of that?

How about having any of these upgrades done later, is it a realistic prospect?

I've read that these engines (or at least the ones without these features) require continuous adjustments of both valve clearance and ignition advance, hence my interest.

Thanks

skydivepaul

posted on 29/4/17 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
What I do know is that these things set themselves on fire.
Every year you see plenty of these at the side of the M5 going / coming back from Cornwall with smoke coming out of them

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

tegwin

posted on 29/4/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair these are usually bought be people who like the idea of the retro van life but don't get it into their heads that it's not a modern car and needs to be maintained very differently....

I helped a guy out last summer who had a flat battery and didn't even know how to open the engine cover

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/17 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Keep in mind if you have a frontal impact in one of these kiss goodbye to your legs.
In the picture has two carbs ---- they could be 2x twin chokes.
Electronic ignition it really dosen't matter if it hasn't you can fit it but with or without no big deal.
Hydraulic lifters are more likely to go wrong. They work well on modern cars because of modern synthetic oils.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/4/17 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul
What I do know is that these things set themselves on fire.
Every year you see plenty of these at the side of the M5 going / coming back from Cornwall with smoke coming out of them

I have seen a couple of VW 411 Type 4 on fire.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Alez

posted on 30/4/17 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all

GREAT advice, Britishtrident, very helpful and much appreciated.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/5/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
make sure you replace every hose and check all the wiring as they age badly which is one of the main reasons they go on fire. your better with an engine conversion really as they are hopelessly slow and thirsty. Pinto's use to be a good choice. With that engine if you got 15mpg you'd be doing very well and only just keep up with traffic.
Electronic ignition is a doddle and just a distributer and coils swap, best with an induction type

Like any of these cult classics don't just assume it's like all the hype, in reality their pretty poor by modern standards. Total death traps in a crash too. I use to be so much into the old VW's, wouldn't buy one now.

[Edited on 1/5/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 1/5/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Understood with thanks!! Since I enjoy the driving more than the tinkering, I think I'd be much better off with an engine swap. That should fix most of the issues mentioned (hoses and wires / valves / cruise speed / fuel consumption). Subaru power trains seem popular. Good to know that electronic ignition is easy to arrange, anyway.

I must admit I'm getting concerned about safety, though. Slow cruising asks for B roads, and those are most often two-way, so the previous comment regarding legs in front of axle is very relevant. Of course I could put in a 200 BHP job and do highways all the time, but I don't think that'd make the whole plan any safer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.