Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento rear disc conversion
knight19770

posted on 3/5/17 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Viento rear disc conversion

Hi Guy's looking for some help!, I am trying to fit a disc brake conversion to the rear of my viento from Rallydesign. I am struggling to see how these will work due to the size of the rear upright. When fitting the adaptor plate you will not manage to get to the caliper fixing holes as they are covered by the upright and also if holding the caliper in place it's not clearing the side of the upright? Has any one out there fitted one of these or have any pics they could show me of how there caliper sits by the upright to guide me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/5/17 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
The simplest way to fit rear discs to a Viento is to use the Granada/Siearra (bolt on drive shaft) rear hub/bearing set which carries the necessary mounts for the caliper. I suspect you are trying to use the push in drive shaft set up.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

knight19770

posted on 9/5/17 at 06:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Jolly green,

Yes i have the push in type drivshafts and bought a rallydesign kit to convert from drum to disc. Don't really want to change the driveshafts as i bought these new! Do you know if any of the brackets sold would work ?

Thanks Mike

CosKev3

posted on 9/5/17 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Trouble is Rally Design won't know how every kit car manufacturer makes rear uprights,so many available they will never be able to design a kit that fits everything.
knight19770

posted on 9/5/17 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I think i should have done my homework before diving in and getting these, never mind lesson learned. Does anyone know what the measurement is from the centre of the hub to the fixing holes for the caliper on the hubs that work on a Viento upright?
mcerd1

posted on 9/5/17 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knight19770
Does anyone know what the measurement is from the centre of the hub to the fixing holes for the caliper on the hubs that work on a Viento upright?

^^ I guess the better quiestion would be can you get a disc big enough ?

cossie 2wd discs are 273mm solid ones (rather than the non-cossie 253mm) and are designed to use the same calipers and pads (so 10mm extra compared with non-cossie)

of course some conversion kits use smaller discs (often fiesta front or similar) instead of the std. sierra ones - I think the rally design ones are 240x10mm ?

have you got any pic's & measurements of the uprights / discs / brackets / calipers - I'm sure there will be a way round this, but it may involve some custom mounting brackets

-

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/5/17 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knight19770
Hi Jolly green,

Yes i have the push in type drivshafts and bought a rallydesign kit to convert from drum to disc. Don't really want to change the driveshafts as i bought these new! Do you know if any of the brackets sold would work ?

Thanks Mike

Sorry Mike I don't. There are people hat have done drum to disc conversions on other types of Kits, but, on Luegos, not that I can think of. As I said before simplest is to get a complete Sierra/Granada/Scorpio (rear disc braked) axle and do a straight swap. Agreed more expense for you, but, less time and hassle. anything else I think will involve cutting and loining drive shafts.
JGG

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

B33fy

posted on 9/5/17 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a link to the Sierra disc brake hub with measurements for the 253mm disc. These are fitted to mine. https://goo.gl/images/dWM7I3

The cosworth version has larger lugs for the bigger 273mm disc. I would probably do what was previously suggested and find a bigger disc probably cosworth, and get new brackets made up. Easiest way is to unbolt the hub and take the lot to a local machine shop to make up, then you know it'll all fit, work.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.