Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it my starter solenoid????
lordbenny

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is it my starter solenoid????

Every so often, about one in five drives, I will try to start my car and I get...nothing...nada...when I push my starter button. The lights don't dim when I press it. If I leave the car for a while it will fire up even if I do nothing! The battery is new. The car is a Westfield with Zetec. The starter is placed very close to the exhaust manifold. Could it be the solenoid?

[Edited on 16/5/17 by lordbenny]

CosKev3

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Does it randomly?

Is it a decent button,could be that or some dodgy wiring on the back of it.

Next time it does it whip the button out and check you are getting a live sent out of the button when it's pressed.if not and you have got live at the other side of the button it's the button at fault.

If you get a live out of the button when it's pressed get someone to check if the live is getting to the solenoid (small wire onto it) when you press the button, if you have live there and the starter is still not working it's the solenoid.

lordbenny

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Good questions and thanks for the reply.

I recently checked all the wires to the starter resoldered them and new shrink tube.

I have fiddled around with the wires behind the starter but not taken it out, that will be my next plan of action. Thanks again.

obfripper

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just a click and nothing else definately sounds like the internal contacts in the solenoid, however if there is no click at all it could be the solenoid or wiring.
If you have clip on multimeter leads, connect to the solenoid actuator wire (s terminal) and check for voltage there with the button pressed.
If there is voltage there and no action, check the resistance of the actuator wire to earth - i have had the soldering crack where the wire goes into the solenoid giving a random open circuit. This can be reflowed with a large soldering iron and some flux.
If the internal contacts are at fault, the solenoid is not servicable but can be replaced if available separately.

Dave

starterman

posted on 16/5/17 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
If it was the solenoid you would normally get a click. Nothing happening sounds like a wiring issue, either inside or outside of the starter.
gremlin1234

posted on 16/5/17 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
while you may have checked the wiring, have you also checked the 'earth'/chassis connections?
lordbenny

posted on 16/5/17 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
while you may have checked the wiring, have you also checked the 'earth'/chassis connections?

Yes, that was another separate starting issue I had! I removed the engine/chassis earth strap previously, cleaned them all up and It solved my cranking issue as I wasn't getting enough power to the starter due to a weak earth. That's all sorted now.

bi22le

posted on 16/5/17 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
So if the starter clicks then it is a solenoid issue (assuming the wiring and contacts to the starter are all good and not drawing the current)

If there is no click, it can only really be wiring.

If it clicks, or you want to try to fault find further, next time it does it, give the starter a whack with a rubber mallet, screw driver handle or something softish.

If you can do this while pulsing the 12V signal wire (pushing the switch or using a power probe) and it starts then it could be browning of the motor contacts. This is where the starter stops in the same place again and again. The high current required to start cranking arcs and deposits a layer of insulating dust. over time this can stop you from starting the car.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

starterman

posted on 21/5/17 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
If there is no click it could very well be the brushes.

If you want give me a call and I will explain how to strip and check. If there are any issues then let me have the part number and I'm more than prepared to supply any parts at cost to anyone on here.

lordbenny

posted on 21/5/17 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, thanks for the offer...

I am looking at one on eBay...

[ebay]281974701518 [/ebay]

I have a 2.0 Zetec with an mt75 gearbox, I should really take mine off and compare it but at this price I might just buy it.

lordbenny

posted on 2/7/17 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, so I have put on a brand new solenoid and it fired up straight away, no problem.....until, after a 1 hour blast to Box Hill, I parked up for half an hour and after looking at some bikes I returned to the car and.....Nothing! AAAAARGH.

When I press the starter button the ignition light dims slightly. I wiggled the starter trigger wire that attaches to the starter and I did start up eventually. I'm thinking now that this wire might start malfunctioning when it gets hot, which it does due to the starter's location. Next up, I'm going to strip this wire again and, rather than push it on with the crimped spade connector I'm going to solder it on.

It has to be the trigger wire now doesn't it as it's not the battery, solenoid or earth straps?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.