Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: car builder solutions fog light control unit
ttalps2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
car builder solutions fog light control unit

Has anyone fitted the CBS fog light control unit?

Fitted one last night. Works in the sense that if the fog light is left turned on and the lights turned off, you have to switch the fog light off and back on again for it to work next time. However, it leave the tell tell light on the switch turned on, but the fog not working. I would assume this would be an issue with IVA as it showing the fog light is on when its not.

Thanks

nick205

posted on 17/5/17 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't use one myself, but I'd agree that it doesn't seem correct for the tell-tale light to be on when the actual fog light is off.

Any chance it may be wired in wrong?

Switched/non-switched live etc?

ttalps2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Will check it all again
tims31

posted on 17/5/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
Has anyone fitted the CBS fog light control unit?

Fitted one last night. Works in the sense that if the fog light is left turned on and the lights turned off, you have to switch the fog light off and back on again for it to work next time. However, it leave the tell tell light on the switch turned on, but the fog not working. I would assume this would be an issue with IVA as it showing the fog light is on when its not.

Thanks

What switch type are you using. I have one with an LED tell tale and that does the same thing but I haven't worried about having the fog light switch off if I switch the lights off as you do not need to have it. There is an email from VOSA stating that you do not need to have this as it is more for modern vehicles.
The tell tale (in the switch) lets me know the switch is on and if I switch the lights on again then the fog light will come on but the warning lamp on the dash only comes on when the fog light is lit.

One of these
Description
Description

This is the thread where I was going to wire in a buzzer but was told I didn't need it. I have a copy of the email from VOSA
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/5/viewthread.php?tid=208114

[Edited on 17/5/17 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

z2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Unless anything has changed to the IVA in the last 18 months since I passed....you can wire it quite simply from the headlight switch.

Instead of the stalks (although it shouldn't matter) I have a side lights switch, a headlight switch and a fog light switch. All the basic savage aluminium switches.

The output of the sidelights sends power to the headlights and the output of the headlights sends power to the fog light.

Thus without both sidelights and headlights turned on the fog doesn't come on. If you leave it switched on and turn off the lights, it goes out. When turning the lights back on, yes it turns on but so does the warning light to alert you to this.

That setup passed IVA so surely people don't need to worry about buzzers or fog light modules?

IVA:

Rear fog lamps;
1. They must be operational
2. The correct number must be fitted to the vehicle (Table 1)
3. They must only emit a red light
4. The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit (see alternatives in Notes 3 and 4).
5. They must be positioned correctly to meet
a) the positional requirements of Table 1
b) the angles of visibility requirements of Table 1
6. Must be fitted with an operational “tell-tale” lamp (non-flashing) visible from the driving position
7. Either the switch or tell tale must clearly indicate that operation relates to the Rear Fog lights (see Note 1).
8. Must not be operated by a brake control
9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear
10. An optional rear fog lamp must form a matched pair with the obligatory lamp.
11. An optional rear fog lamp must only operate with the obligatory rear fog lamp
12. All rear fog lamps must display an “e” or “E” mark with a “B” or “F” (see Note 2)

Note 3: front fog lamps may be illuminated with the side lamps only.
Note 4: Either of the following scenarios will also be considered acceptable (this doesn't mean required):
 The rear fog lamp(s) may continue to operate until the position lamps are switched off, and the rear fog lamp(s) must then remain off until deliberately switched on again or,
 An audible warning, additional to the mandatory tell-tale light, must be activated if the ignition is switched off or the ignition key is withdrawn and the driver's door is opened, whether the lamps in (RS4) are on or off, whilst the rear fog lamp switch is in the "on" position.

If it isn't broken; take it apart and fix it! Build PhotoBlog:
http://z2000.co.uk

ttalps2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
looks like ive wasted £30 then! I hate the IVA manual, its not easy to understand exactly what they are after at times! I will leave the unit in and wire the switch light on the savage switch to the output from the module instead so that the light goes out when the fog light is not lit. Car will probably fail IVA anyway, so if they are not happy I can always change it!
z2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say it's money wasted as it does provide a nice functionality to the car. But you didn't absolutely need it.

So don't feel too bad about it

If it isn't broken; take it apart and fix it! Build PhotoBlog:
http://z2000.co.uk

ttalps2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
will be glad when the car is IVA'd and on the road! 12 years in the waiting! Roll on 4th July
loggyboy

posted on 17/5/17 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair to CBS they introduced this quite quickly after VOSA introduced the switching rule in to IVA a couple of years back. It took a few months but VOSA sort of side stepped it (via lots of complaints about how hard it was to incorporate in to 'normal' electronics. So it IS still a requirement shown in the manual, but VOSA have confirmed they will overlook it. Gotta love government agencies!

Mistral Motorsport

ttalps2000

posted on 17/5/17 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
sounds about right!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.