Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CBR900 clutch
Matt21

posted on 18/5/17 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
CBR900 clutch

I'm having a little trouble lately with my clutch.
It's ok 95% of the time with just me in the car, but if there's a passenger it slips a fair bit!

It's currently either got standard plates and heavy duty springs, or EBC SRC plates and heavy duty springs (I cant remember which I put in!)

Has anyone tried any other clutches with success?

I'm looking at the EBC SRK kit that comes with kevlar friction plates and heavier springs. ~£95
Other option is just to go for a 2-stage lock-up clutch ~£250

Does anyone have experience with the lock-up clutches? I get the impression they're pretty hard going on the clutch basket, ie, gouging into the alloy? or do they not 'dig in' as I think they will?

any suggestions?

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

mark chandler

posted on 18/5/17 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
My car has a lock up clutch, only needed if you get it to over 175 BHP, it's designed for the torque of the engine so it really should not matter so i suspect you have something else amiss.

The fingers push on the back of the plate, it does not need a lot of weight to hold 200hp with standard springs.

£250, then add a 1" spacer and extend the rod, it will end up being nearer £400.

ReMan

posted on 18/5/17 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm I recall std plates are as good as anything with uprated springs. my experience has been ok, but they don't last forever in a car

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/5/17 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lock-up clutches (GSXR750 engine in my case) have not had a detrimental affect on the basket. The clutch inner sleeve gets a hard life, notches, and then the clutch gets a bit grabby, but no more so than without the lock up.
Clutches are consumables, it doesn't take much (worn/glazed friction plates, warped/burnt steels, old compressed springs, etc.) before things slip.

Kevlar plates have a lower coefficient of friction than the originals, so the springs must be superb for them to work. My experience with some springs is that they aren't rated at what the manufacturers say they are. Measure your springs (length and gauge), test them, measure the compression in the basket and see what comes out as the strongest. New plates will increase the pack height too, all good things.

I would recommend Barnett springs and standard OE friction plates and steels.

As for the lockup, yep, it works for me. Issue is releasing it, pushrod stresses are phenomenal when the engine is pushing the counterweights. Release gear needs to be in very good condition to cope.

olimarler

posted on 19/5/17 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, got an older cbr1000f in mine.

Good high quality oil and standard plates updated springs do the job perfectly.

I'd go that direction :-)

Matt21

posted on 19/5/17 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
What oil would you recommend?

I think it's motul 5100 10w40 I have in at the moment

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

olimarler

posted on 20/5/17 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
What oil would you recommend?

I think it's motul 5100 10w40 I have in at the moment

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-812-silkolene-pro-4-10w-40-xp-ester-full-synthetic-4t-bike-engine-oil.aspx

Think it was this one they recommend

mark chandler

posted on 20/5/17 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I run mine on Halfords semi synthetic bike oil, just change it every year, when I blew the gearbox so had to strip down the mains all looked perfect even after turbo beating the he'll out of it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.